R. Kelly is due to appear in court in Chicago on Tuesday on charges of recruiting girls and women to have illegal sex with him.
Prosecutors say Kelly should not make bail and want him to remain in federal custody as they say he's a flight risk.
The R&B star, 52, is also accused of covering up the crimes by paying and threatening the victims and witnesses.
The musician was already awaiting trial for more than 20 other alleged sexual crimes – all of which he denies.
R. Kelly speaks directly to the camera during an interview in March 2019
Last week, two separate federal indictments were filed against Kelly in Chicago and Brooklyn.
Combined, the allegations depict an organised effort from the star and his associates to recruit and transport underage girls over state lines for illegal sexual purposes, including the production of child pornography, as well as conspiracy to obstruct justice by destroying evidence and bribing or threatening witnesses.
Kelly's lawyer, Steve Greenberg, said in a statement that his client was "aware of the investigations and the charges were not a surprise".
He added that the R&B singer would "look forward to his day in court, to the truth coming out and to his vindication from what has been an unprecedented assault by others for their own personal gain."
Meanwhile, lawyer Michael Avenatti, who represents three of the star's alleged victims, claimed on Monday that Kelly paid $2m (£1.6m) to silence a witness in a previous trial.
In a news conference on Monday, he also accused Kelly of paying at least one associate $100,000 (£80,000) to hunt down videos of him having sex with a minor that had gone missing.
Avenatti added that he now represents three "whistleblowers" who have information about the case. Much of what he said on Monday had already been outlined in more general terms in the indictments.
R. Kelly, whose full name is Robert Kelly, has faced accusations of sexual abuse for more than two decades. The current cases against him were triggered by the six-part documentary, Surviving R. Kelly, which was broadcast in the US at the start of 2019.
- UG to cough up $165m judgment debt for abrogating Africa Integras partnership
- Saglemi saga: Former Housing Minister, Collins Dauda granted self-recognisance bail
- James Gyakye Quayson storms Parliament; insists he is still Assin North MP
- 2020 NDC Parliamentary Candidate for Efutu acquitted and discharged
- Kissi Agyebeng is new Special Prosecutor
- Tokyo 2020: Ghana’s 4×100 men’s team qualify for final after breaking national record
- Government is on course to fix the country – Akufo-Addo
- I don’t regret appointing Martin Amidu as Special Prosecutor – Akufo-Addo
- Playback: NPP commemorates 29-year anniversary
- Barcelona say Lionel Messi will not stay at club
Don’t rent, build a house if you have the means – Chairman of Comet Properties
Japanese whiskey worth $5,800 gifted to Pompeo missing, State filings say
Victims of Witch Camps are being sexually abused – Research
Cape Coast Teaching Hospital CEO pays glowing tribute to Medical Laboratory Professionals in the country
School Feeding Program sends strong warning to caterers who are not cooking for children
Assin North ruling: Lawyers for Gyaakye Quayson file motion for stay of execution
Minister of Health hands over vaccine storage facilities to Ghana Health Service
Shrine of Teshie Wulomo destroyed by fire
Upper West NHIA targets universal health coverage by end of 2021
Public universities risks closure due to labour unrests – Ghana Association of University Administrators
Government releases ¢260 million for payment of fertilizer companies
‘I haven’t violated any rules’ – Assin North MP after joining Privileges Committee meeting
Government domestic borrowing ‘crowding out’ private sector and increasing banks balance sheet risks – IMF
YEA, GHS set to recruit 3,000 youth as government’s 1million jobs initiative is implemented
Coalition of unsatisfied NTC Licensure Examination candidates petitions management over failed examinations