Audio By Carbonatix
Ghana international, Raphael Dwamena has insisted he wants to continue playing football as a professional despite encountering a cardiac arrest in Austria recently.
The Ghanaian has been a victim of persistent heart problems in the last few years and has been playing with an implanted defibrillator since 2020.
Dwamena collapsed on the field during BW Linz’s Austrian Cup game against TSV Hartberg last month, forcing the game to be abandoned.
The 26-year-old has spoken for the first for the first since the incident, and has reiterated his desire to continue with football despite calls for him to hang up his boots and move on from the sport.
"I received an electric shock from the defibrillator. It hurts and knocks you off your feet. But I didn't collapse," the forward said in an interview, according to Ghanasoccernet.
"I want to have another check done in the next few days or weeks. If everything is okay, I'll be back on the pitch and play. I've always played without any problems.”
Dwamena is however aware the decision to continue playing will not be solely his choice as the doctors will have to give him the green light to do so.
"Now there has just been an incident. But I can't do it myself decide," he added.
Following the incident two weeks ago, doctors said Dwamena was never in acute danger to life due to the defibrillator.
Dwamena has made just three appearances for the club this season, after joining as a free agent in the summer.
Latest Stories
-
NAIMOS task force cracks down on galamsey in Ashanti Region over Valentine’s weekend
18 minutes -
OSP goofed and must tell Ghanaians the truth – Frank Davies reacts to Red Notice decision
28 minutes -
Today’s Front Pages: Monday, February 16, 2026
42 minutes -
‘Victory in 2028 won’t be gifted to us’ – Bawumia urges discipline, unity in NPP
1 hour -
Lordina Mahama announces completion of 3 modern maternity and children’s wards
1 hour -
IOM, Fidelity Bank Ghana Ltd partner to boost financial literacy for Ghanaian returnees
1 hour -
There is nothing wrong with being arrested as a politician – Afenyo-Markin urges NPP unity
1 hour -
Fact-based response to misleading narratives on JG Resources Ltd’s gold trade dispute
1 hour -
WHY Dr Bawumia must retain NAPO as running mate: Consistency, loyalty and strategy are good in politics
1 hour -
GNFS prevents petrol tanker explosion at Aveme Junction
2 hours -
Hindsight: Garbage in, garbage out
2 hours -
Gender Ministry condemns alleged digital sexual exploitation by foreign national, vows legal action
2 hours -
‘We realised the mess left behind’ – Asiedu Nketia blames Akufo-Addo gov’t for cocoa crisis
2 hours -
Suspect in Zebilla police robbery and murder arrested
2 hours -
‘I am safe and recovering well’ – Mohammed Sukparu reassures public after accident
2 hours
