Egyptian giants, Al-Ahly have overtaken Italian side, AC Milan as the Club with the most internationally recognized titles.
The CAF Champions League holders attained the feat following their 3-2 win over CS Sfaxien of Tunisia last Thursday in Cairo, taking their tally of international titles to 19, one more than AC Milan.
The breakdown of the ‘Red Devils’ titles are:
– Eight (8) CAF Champions League [1982,1987,2001,2005,2006,2008,2012,2013];
– Four (4) CAF Cup Winners’ Cup [1984,1985,1986,1993];
– Six (6) CAF Super Cup [2002,006,2007,2009.2013,2014]
– One (1) Afro-Asian Cup .
Milan’s 18 international trophy haul include seven (7) UEFA Champions League, five (5) UEFA Super Cup, two (2) UEFA Cup Winners’ Cup, three (3) Intercontinental Cup and one (1) FIFA Club World.
CAF President Issa Hayatou has congratulated Ahly on the feat, describing it as positive for African football.
“Congratulations to Ahly on this historic achievement. CAF is proud of this record that puts Africa on the world map yet again.
“This is positive sign that African football has come of age and it will encourage other clubs to do more,” said Hayatou.
- Takoradi woman in latest fake kidnapping jailed 6 years
- What are the 53 phone models that WhatsApp no longer supports?
- Allegations of bias against Justice Honyenuga unfounded, Opuni trial can proceed – Supreme Court
- As it happened: Shatta Wale, Medikal each granted ¢100k bail
- CAF Confederation Cup: Hearts of Oak drawn with Algeria’s JS Saoura
- Go to IMF for liquidity support; your finances not good – gov’t told
- Shatta Wale and Medikal each get ¢100k bail
- Alajo coup plot: You cannot travel to Kenya – Court declines Agordzo’s request
- Parliament’s debate on Anti-LGBTQ+ Bill and MPs’ vote to be made public
- My employee became my landlord at a point in my career – CEO of Websoft solutions recounts
5 NDC MPs file motion to probe Akufo-Addo’s use of chartered flights for foreign travels
Over 220,000 job opportunities from NAELP not meant for NPP foot soldiers – Abu Jinapor
Clinton’s former aide, Huma Abedin details sex assault by US senator
Brazil senators back criminal charges against Bolsonaro over Covid-19 handling
Collector returns Mayan artefact to Guatemala
Just because our relationship ended doesn’t mean I don’t wish you well
Archbishop of Canterbury, others oppose Anti-LGBTQ+ Bill, pledge to engage with Archbishop of Ghana
Ghanaian artistes urged to use resources available when making music to avoid song theft claims
Madina MP files contempt charges against police officers involved in Monday’s protest
Retract and apologise for defamatory publication or face court action – Lawyers of Eugene Arhin to Adom-Boakye
Elon Musk is now worth more than ExxonMobil
Government to punish employers who refuse to pay pension for employees
Parliament’s transparency on anti-LGBT bill is good for our democracy – Sam George
Covid: Biden sets new rules as air travel to the US reopens
Banning tricycles from highways unconstitutional – Minority