The Commissioner-General of the Ghana Revenue Authority (GRA), Mr Emmanuel Kofi Nti, has indicated that the authority’s revenue target of GH¢39.8 billion is achievable.
It raked in GH¢ 32.3 billion last year, registering a shortfall of GH¢1.1 billion.
The figure, however, represented a nominal growth of 22.3 percent over the 2016 collection and was the GRA’s best performance in the past five years.
Mr Nti expressed optimism that through the combination of effective supervisory skills, new initiatives in debt collection, sustained public education and strong application of the tax laws – sanctions, the 2018 collection target could be within reach.
He was speaking at the opening of the annual management retreat of the GRA in Kumasi.
“Transforming revenue mobilisation strategies: the way forward,” was the theme chosen for the two-day programme.
The Commissioner General urged hard work, commitment to duty, regular audits, visits to taxpayers’ business premises and regular compliance activities.
“Let’s recommit to do our best for our country”, he added.
Mr Nti signalled plans to undertake reforms of the customs warehousing, transit and re-exports regimes alongside intensified patrol to check smuggling.
He vowed that the authority would be resolute in working towards the success of the excise tax stamp – an innovation meant to monitor the payment of the correct amount of excise duty, eliminate the sale of counterfeit and illicit products.
He touched on the introduction of the “GFTrade and the Temporary Vehicle Importation Monitoring System (TVIMS) to aid the Customs Division to have access to the correct values of imported goods from the countries of exportation and verify values declared by importers.
This, he said, would enable the division to raise more revenue by discovering fraudulent declarations.
It would also help track temporarily imported vehicles which had over-stayed while at the same time identifying smuggled vehicles.
Mr. Simon Osei Mensah, Ashanti Regional Minister, echoed the need for GRA to broaden the tax net and to do more to ensure compliance.
He called for innovative strategies to engage and encourage people in the informal sector to honour their tax obligations.
- Social media users react to DSP Azugu’s alleged role in assault on Citi FM journalist
- ASEPA calls for the removal of GJA President, Affail Monney
- Don’t reduce our schools to ideological and religious fighting grounds – Akufo-Addo tells religious leaders
- NSMQ 2021: Mfantsipim destroys Adisadel, University Practice and Assin State College to win Central Regional Championship
- Akufo-Addo and his NPP government are reducing Ghana to a police state – Haruna Iddrisu
- We have not failed humanity by building prison infrastructure – Church of Pentecost
- GPL wrap: Kotoko extend gap at top after Olympics surrender lead
- Court adjourns Assin North MP’s case over hearing of applications
- Francis Xavier-Sosu: Eid-ul-Fitr reflections – Human rights and security implications, the case of Wesley Girls’ and the Methodist Church
- Education Minister engages stakeholders of Christian Mission Schools over Wesley Girls’ brouhaha
Akufo-Addo visits France, Belgium and South Africa as part of post-Covid engagements
Today’s front pages: Friday, May 14, 2021
NSMQ2021: Perfect ‘salah’ gift as Tamale SHS wins maiden Northern Zonal Championship
Coach Paa Kwasi Fabin names 27-man Black Meteors squad to face Japan
Real Madrid win to keep title dream alive
GPL wrap: Kotoko extend gap at top after Olympics surrender lead
Liverpool boost top four hopes with win at Man Utd
Sancho and Haaland score doubles as Dortmund win German Cup
National Security Ministry to probe alleged assault on Citi FM journalists by security operatives
Government is committed to investing more in the youth – NYA Deputy CEO
NSMQ 2021: Tamale Islamic SHS denied ‘Eid-Trophy’ after Notre Dame SHS exited them at semis of Northern Zonal Championship
Don’t reduce our schools to ideological and religious fighting grounds – Akufo-Addo tells religious leaders
NSMQ 2021: Mfantsipim destroys Adisadel, University Practice and Assin State College to win Central Regional Championship
Full text: Speaker Alban Bagbin’s message on the occasion of Eid-ul-Fitr
Driver arraigned over expired insurance certificate