Audio By Carbonatix
The Minister for Gender, Children and Social Protection, Madam Lariba Zuweira Abudu, says caterers of the Ghana School Feeding Programme will receive payments of their arrears for the third term of the 2022 academic year this week.
She said her Ministry together with the Ministry of Finance as of April 2023 had paid all areas for the first and second terms of the 2022 academic year.
The Minister said this when he addressed the press on the status of the programme in Accra.
Madam Abudu said so far, 11,052 caterers’ files had been cleared for payment.
She added that 76 caterers’ payments were pending due to challenges with their e-zwich payment platforms.
She said some caterers did not cook within the period and, therefore, would not be paid, saying, they were being paid for the number of days they cooked within a term.
Madam Abudu said beneficiary pupils of the programme had increased from 1,611,777 in 2016 to 3,801,491 in 2023 covering 10,832 public basic schools nationwide.
She added that the cost per meal per child per day had been proposed at GHC1.20 from the current GHC1.00.
“The programme continues to provide employment for 34,350 caterers and cooks especially women to enable them to take care of their families.
“Also, the programme has created a ready market for local farmers thereby boosting the local economy,” she said.
The Minister said the programme was currently running an electronic monitoring system, which provided real-time data to enhance programme delivery.
The Ghana School Feeding Programme, an intervention by the Government of Ghana, started in 2005 to provide food to children in public basic schools from kindergarten to primary six.
The programme aims to increase school enrolment, attendance and retention, reduce short-term hunger and malnutrition and boost domestic food production.
Latest Stories
-
Kingsford Boakye-Yiadom nets first league goal for Everton U21 in Premier League 2
9 minutes -
We Condemn Publicly. We Download Privately — A Ghanaian Digital Dilemma
2 hours -
Renaming KIA to Accra International Airport key to reviving national airline – Transport Minister
3 hours -
Interior Minister urges public not to share images of Burkina Faso attack victims
3 hours -
Unknown persons desecrate graves at Asante Mampong cemetery
3 hours -
I will tour cocoa-growing areas to explain new price – Eric Opoku
3 hours -
Ghana to host high-level national consultative on use of explosive weapons in populated areas
3 hours -
Daily Insight for CEOs: Leadership Communication and Alignment
4 hours -
Ace Ankomah writes: Let’s coffee our cocoa: My Sunday morning musings
4 hours -
Real income of cocoa farmers has improved – Agriculture Minister
4 hours -
I’ll tour cocoa-growing areas to explain new price – Eric Opoku
4 hours -
Titao attack should be wake-up call for Ghana’s security architecture – Samuel Jinapor
4 hours -
New Juaben South MP Okyere Baafi condemns Burkina Faso attack, demands probe into government response
4 hours -
A/R: Unknown assailants desecrate graves at Asante Mampong cemetery
4 hours -
What is wrong with us: Africans know mining, but do not understand the business and consequences of mining
5 hours
