Audio By Carbonatix
A popular 12-year-old schoolboy nicknamed ‘little Superman’ was found hanging in his bedroom by his brother after his mother confiscated his mobile phone, an inquest heard today.
Cain Westcarr, of Gloucester, had spent two days arguing with his mother Veronica Lee, and was discovered just 40 minutes after saying he was going to his room to listen to music.
Beaufort School student Cain was later pronounced dead at Gloucestershire Royal Hospital, but the inquest heard his act may have been a cry for help and he had not intended to take his life.
The coroner said it was a tragic case and children sometimes don’t understand the consequences of their actions. Miss Lee had taken his phone from him one morning in June last year at their home.
She tearfully told the inquest: ‘I don't think he actually wanted to kill himself. I don't think he wanted to live the life he had any more but I don't think he wanted to die. I think it was a cry for help.’
Detective Sergeant Mark Steinhouse, of Gloucestershire Police, said there was no suspicious circumstances and explained that Miss Lee had told his colleagues of the incident with the phone.
Describing how she heard the news of Cain's death, Mrs Geatches said: ‘I didn't believe it at first when I heard. For one minute I don't believe Cain wanted to take his life.
‘I actually think he wanted to inflict pain upon himself. That's how I interpret it. He wanted to see how much pain he could stand and unfortunately it ended in his death.’
A post-mortem examination found Cain had died from hanging. The coroner recorded a verdict of accidental death and said he could not be satisfied that Cain had intended to take his own life.
DISCLAIMER: The Views, Comments, Opinions, Contributions and Statements made by Readers and Contributors on this platform do not necessarily represent the views or policy of Multimedia Group Limited.
Tags:
DISCLAIMER: The Views, Comments, Opinions, Contributions and Statements made by Readers and Contributors on this platform do not necessarily represent the views or policy of Multimedia Group Limited.
Latest Stories
-
NAIMOS taskforce intensifies anti-galamsey crackdowns in Ashanti Region
5 minutes -
70-year-old visually impaired killed in fire incident at Sefwi Adjoafua
13 minutes -
Curfew lifted in Nalerigu and surrounding communities – Ministry of the Interior
16 minutes -
Central Regional Minister charges MMDCEs to exceed expectations or face sanctions
18 minutes -
Open Letter from a Medical Doctor to the Health Minister on the Charles Amissah investigation
25 minutes -
Benjamin Asare: the ultimate winner from Sunday’s Super Clash
25 minutes -
Foreigners committing crimes in Ghana without consequences – Vicky Bright
35 minutes -
Court of Appeal quashes KNUST directive for lecturer to apologise to colleagues
39 minutes -
Iranian Embassy in Ghana responds to the remarks of the Israeli Ambassador to Ghana
42 minutes -
GNFS confirms six deaths, seven injured in Accra-Nsawam highway petrol tanker fire
1 hour -
President Mahama commissions new Ghana embassy chancery in Addis Ababa
1 hour -
Kyei-Mensah-Bonsu questions timing of OSP investigation into alleged vote buying in NPP Presidential Primary
1 hour -
Photos: Dreams FC suffer 1-0 defeat at home to Karela
1 hour -
Ghana needs clear policy to tackle galamsey, our past methods fell short – Kyei-Mensah-Bonsu
1 hour -
Mahama pushes urgent rollout of Pan-African payment system at AU Summit
1 hour
