Audio By Carbonatix
The Sekyere West District Assembly last year collected about ¢1.58 billion as internally generated revenue, representing 88.8 percent of its estimated ¢1.78 billion for the period.
Besides, the assembly received a total of ¢3,778,165,241 as part of its share of the Districts Assemblies Common Fund allocation of ¢5,392,000,000 for 2006.
The District Chief Executive, Mr. Haruna Oppong-Boateng said this when he addressed the first ordinary meeting of the assembly on Monday.
He said though the assembly's revenue mobilization for the period under review was far better than its performance in 2005, there was more room for improvement.
Consequently, the assembly put in place some measures to improve revenue collection.
These included strengthening internal controls to reduce embezzlement and other leakages, training of revenue collectors, public education on the need for the people to pay their basic rates and re-evaluation of property for rent assessment.
Mr. Oppong-Boateng said some development projects were carried out during the year under review and that the assembly spent more than ¢500 million, representing almost 15 percent of its total revenue, on education.
On the progress of the National Health Insurance Scheme in the area, he said 59,448 people had registered with the scheme, out of which 51,128 had been issued with identity cards.
Mr. Oppong-Boateng said the district had been selected among 23 others to benefit from the Millennium Challenge Account which, when it takes off, would modernize agriculture, create more employment for the people and improve basic infrastructure.
Source GNA
DISCLAIMER: The Views, Comments, Opinions, Contributions and Statements made by Readers and Contributors on this platform do not necessarily represent the views or policy of Multimedia Group Limited.
Tags:
DISCLAIMER: The Views, Comments, Opinions, Contributions and Statements made by Readers and Contributors on this platform do not necessarily represent the views or policy of Multimedia Group Limited.
Latest Stories
-
CJ dismissal of EC, SP petitions strengthens institutions – Inusah Fuseini
50 seconds -
Inusah Fuseini calls for stronger cocoa production systems
38 minutes -
Burkina Faso attack: Hajia Amenu urges support for local produce; calls for protection of women, children
44 minutes -
Freedom isn’t enough, State must protect citizens — Inusah Fuseini on sex exploitation
51 minutes -
Russian sex video: Diplomacy alone not enough, Ghana must reinforce internal security – Effia MP
2 hours -
GHS condemns attacks on staff, pledges enhanced security measures
2 hours -
Ghana must strengthen cybersecurity amid online exploitation concerns – Gloria Amenu
2 hours -
Demand TikTok remove explicit videos of victims – Gloria Amenu urges gov’t
2 hours -
Gender Ministry must provide psychological care for exploited women – Gloria Amenu
3 hours -
Trump lashes out at Supreme Court justices over tariffs ruling
4 hours -
Refrain from mass marketing or public promotional campaigns on virtual assets – BoG to VASPs
5 hours -
Government bans land transit of cooking oil; orders crackdown on customs complicity
5 hours -
NPA engages industry stakeholders on 24-hour economy pilot in petroleum sector
6 hours -
Ablakwa outlines key bilateral agreements with Burkina Faso to boost trade, security and border cooperation
6 hours -
Ghana, Burkina Faso deepen security ties after terrorists kill 8 Ghanaians in Titao
6 hours
