A self-styled journalist who allegedly defrauded a Kumasi based contractor of 39.3 million cedis has been arraigned before a Bolgatanga District magistrate court.
The “journalist”, Habib Iddrisu, who earlier pleaded not guilty to a charge of fraud by false pretences later admitted collecting monies from the contractor.
He however pleaded with the court for time to make good the amount.
The prosecutor, Police Inspector Samuel K. Kpogo told the court presided by Justice Osman Abdul Hakim that in December 2006 Habib told the contractor that he, Abdulai Atibila, alias Staffad was going to be awarded a contract by the Talensi Nabdam District Assembly but he did not have money.
After he had convinced the contractor that the District Chief Executive had pledged to give the contract to him, Habib demand 8 million cedis from the contractor to process documents for the contract.
Prosecution told the court that the amount was paid to him instantly.
There after Habib continued demanding monies from the contractor which he obliged and sent various sums of money through Instant Money Transfer against receipts all totalling ¢39.3 million.
However, Habib failed to deliver on his promise because the said contract, a District Police Office was awarded to another contractor.
Following the realisation that Abdulai Atibila’s contract documents were not even used for the bidding, he demanded a refund of his money.
Chief Inspector Kpogo said when Habib failed to refund the monies, a report was made to the Police.
Following his appeal to be given time to negotiate settlement of the amount, the court granted him bail in the sum of 20 million cedis to reappear next week.
Source: The Ghanaian Times
- Nana Agradaa re-arrested after being granted bail
- Election 2020: It is absolutely preposterous to think NDC didn’t collate its results – Afriyie Ankrah
- Headmaster found hanging dead from a tree behind his house in Techiman
- SSNIT OBS scandal: State sues Ernest Thompson, 4 others again
- 5 Ghanaians arrested in Dubai for smuggling weed; one jailed for 10 years
- Joe Ghartey files appeal against Sekondi High Court’s ruling
- Rastafarian case: Achimota School fails to respond to suit, case adjourned to April 30
- Suspend prospecting activities in all forest reserves – Lands Minister directs
- There’s no scientific evidence that Free SHS led to success in WASSCE – Peter Anti
- I don’t know Hearts of Oak, Kotoko is the biggest club in Ghana – Fabio Gama
CDD Ghana conducts School Performance Appraisal Meetings in Kadjebi improve quality of teaching and learning
Nyantakyi never interfered in player call-ups; leave Akonnor alone – George Afriyie tells Kurt Okraku
3 brothers, 3 Olympic berths and 9 medals – Story of the Samir family
National Best Farmer calls for introduction of agricultural ambassadors
‘We’ll invoke Alien Compliance Order to free our nation from aliens’ – Angry judge cautions Fulani man
Nana Adwoa Baafi: Navigating obstacles around progressive portrayal of women in arts
Sad state of Ghana’s only Abedi Pele monument
Over 600 persons to undergo eye surgery at Keta Municipality
Margins Group CEO shares top 10 principles
India hospital fire kills 13 amid Covid oxygen crisis
Algerian scholar gets 3 years in jail for ‘offending Islam’
Chad set for Idriss Deby’s funeral as leaders arrive
65-year-old woman escapes death as house is set ablaze over ‘witchcraft’ accusations
Election 2020: NDC pink sheets digitised
Ghana-Burkina Railway Interconnectivity project to begin 2022; 3 bidders shortlisted