South African Brad Binder won his first MotoGP with victory in this season’s third round in the Czech Republic.
Italian Franco Morbidelli took the lead at the start and built up a gap of just over a second.
Binder overtook Frenchman Fabio Quartararo to go second before catching and going past Yamaha satellite rider Morbidelli on the way to victory.
“This is a day I dreamt of since I was a little boy,” said Binder, whose win was also a first for his KTM team.
“I wish my parents were here because they are the ones that backed me from the beginning.”
Binder was in only his third MotoGP race.
“I can’t thank my team enough because they put an absolute insane motorbike underneath me. I had no idea we were capable of winning but I had a feeling it could be good,” he said.
“I hope this is the start of many more.”
Morbidelli achieved his first podium finish with second place, while Frenchman Johann Zarco, who was on pole, was third.
Quartararo, who won the first two races of this season, was seventh and retains the title lead from Spaniard Maverick Vinales, who was 14th.
World champion Marc Marquez missed the race after a second operation on a broken arm.
The next round is scheduled to take place in Austria on 16 August.
- Takoradi woman in latest fake kidnapping jailed 6 years
- What are the 53 phone models that WhatsApp no longer supports?
- Allegations of bias against Justice Honyenuga unfounded, Opuni trial can proceed – Supreme Court
- As it happened: Shatta Wale, Medikal each granted ¢100k bail
- CAF Confederation Cup: Hearts of Oak drawn with Algeria’s JS Saoura
- Go to IMF for liquidity support; your finances not good – gov’t told
- Alajo coup plot: You cannot travel to Kenya – Court declines Agordzo’s request
- Shatta Wale and Medikal each get ¢100k bail
- My employee became my landlord at a point in my career – CEO of Websoft solutions recounts
- Parliament’s debate on Anti-LGBTQ+ Bill and MPs’ vote to be made public
Parliament’s deliberation over Anti-LGBTQ bill could travel into 2022 – Sam George
MTN rewards customers with 5 Hyundai Sonatas under MTN @25 promo
Stacy Maweunam Amewoyi’s ‘Africa And The African’ raises questions about the continent’s fate
Facebook earns $9bn despite whistleblower scandal
UG to provide students, staff with laptops – New Vice-Chancellor announces
Joining Immigration Service will open doors for us to become billionaires – Applicants
International capital market debt constitutes 46% of Ghana’s external debt
Schoolboys ‘burn dormitory over Liverpool match’
Netflix scrambled internally to suppress a controversial movie from search results
Scrap petroleum tax to provide relief – Minority
Vodafone Ghana to deliver unmatched experiences and innovative products
Anglican leader ‘concerned’ by Ghana anti-gay bill
Brazil senators back criminal charges against Bolsonaro over Covid handling
Looted bronze cockerel set for handover to Nigeria
Afghan family flee violence for new life in Scotland