The Héctor Cúper era got off to a promising start for Egypt, as goals from Basem Morsi and Mahmoud Trezeguet saw them past Equatorial Guinea at the Petro Sport Stadium in Cairo.
In the Argentine’s first test as Egypt manager, Hector Cuper selected a predominantly attacking 4-4-2 line-up.
Ahmed El-Shennawy and Ahmed Fathi both missed out on the game after being injured in the pre-match camp, although it is unsure if either would have been in Cúper’s starting eleven plan.
In front of an empty stadium, Egypt controlled proceedings early on, with Mohamed Salah adopting a second striker role similar to his position with Fiorentina, where he has excelled.
Despite Egypt’s initial dominance, it was Equatorial Guinea who produced the first threat on goal on 15 minutes, but Ekramy produced a wonderful leg save to keep the game tied.
Egypt XI: Sherif Ekramy; Hazem Emam, Ahmed Hegazy, Rami Rabia, Hussein El-Sayed; Ahmed Elmohamady, Ibrahim Salah, Mohamed El-Nenny, Mahmoud Trezeguet; Emad Meteb (captain), Mohamed Salah.
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/p9GEmpo-ZJ4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Thailand 2 - 0 Singapore
Oman 6 - 0 Malaysia
Jordan 0 - 1 Syria
Maldives 0 - 2 Tajikistan
Qatar 1 - 0 Algeria
Egypt 2 - 0 Equatorial Guinea
Ivory Coast 2 - 0 Angola
Bahrain 0 - 6 Colombia
Iran 2 - 0 Chile
France 1 - 3 Brazil
Have your say
More Sports Headlines
- CAF Confederation Cup: Race for knockout stage heats up
- Lassana Diarra's PSG contract terminated
- Gov't releases funds for completion of UG stadium
- After Champions League loss to Atletico Madrid, Juventus is on the brink
- Ronaldo: I've won five Champions Leagues, Atletico have zero
- 'Cojones' celebration came from the heart - Simeone
- Manchester City 'still not ready to fight for the latter stages' - Manager Guardiola
- Atletico overcome VAR setbacks to beat Juventus
- Late goals give Manchester City 3-2 win at Schalke
- Boateng off to China as Levante announce transfer to Dalian Yifang
- Joshua Clottey’s return after three years motivated by regaining title
- 2019 Standard Chartered Trophy launched
- Khedira out of Juve game with Atletico due to irregular heartbeat
- Mukarama receives U-17 World Cup Golden Boot and Bronze Ball
- Barcelona fail to take chances against battling Lyon