Rafael Nadal fell to a shock defeat by 18-year-old Canadian Denis Shapovalov at the Rogers Cup in Montreal.
Wildcard Shapovalov came from a set down to beat top seed Nadal 3-6 6-4 7-6 (6-4) and become the youngest player to reach a Masters 1000 quarter-final.
Nadal's loss means Andy Murray remains world number one, but only until next week's Cincinnati Masters, where Nadal or Roger Federer will replace him.
Federer also progressed to the last eight, with victory over David Ferrer.
The Swiss world number three, 36, came from a set behind to beat the Spaniard 4-6 6-4 6-2 and next faces Roberto Bautista Agut, also of Spain, who defeated Frenchman Gael Monfils 4-6 7-6 (7-5) 7-6 (6-2).
World number 143 Shapovalov, the 2016 Wimbledon junior champion, plays 29-year-old Frenchman Adrian Mannarino.
In the other quarter-finals, Germany's Alexander Zverev, who beat Australian Nick Kyrgios 6-4 6-3, will play South African Kevin Anderson, who saw off American Sam Querrey 6-4 6-1 in the last 16.
And Argentina's Diego Schwartzman will face Robin Haase of the Netherlands. Haase beat Bulgaria's Grigor Dimitrov 7-6 (6-3) 4-6 6-1, while Schwartzman defeated American Jared Donaldson 0-6 7-5 7-5.
Have your say
More Sports Headlines
- WTA gives increased protection for returning mothers on tour for 2019
- Morocco decide against 2019 Africa Cup of Nations bid
- UCL: Real Madrid suffer record home loss to CSKA Moscow
- Man City forward Sterling named Premier League player of the month
- 2009 U-20 World Cup MVP Dominic Adiyiah joins Thai second-tier club
- Richard Commey 'feels like a complete fighter' ahead of world title fight
- CAF CC: StarTimes to broadcast Kotoko's first leg clash with Kariabangi
- Moura’s late goal in Barcelona takes Tottenham through to last 16
- Salah goal sends Liverpool into Champions League last 16
- StanChart launches “Stand Red Campaign”
- Yaya Toure leaves Olympiakos after three months
- Injured Man City midfielder Silva out for 'a few weeks'
- 'I've always liked Real Madrid!' - Hazard hints at Chelsea exit
- T.I AMASS win Ashanti Regional Inter-Schools Soccer championship
- Chelsea fans banned for alleged abuse of Man City forward Sterling