At least 150 of the most talented junior tennis players will storm the Accra Stadium for the McDan Junior Tennis Open competition between Monday August 21 and 16, 2017.
The maiden event which is a sub brand of the McDan Open West Africa Tennis Tournament tennis Court was announced by title sponsor (Mc Dan Group) and their main collaborator the Ghana Tennis Federation.
The competition format for players in the Under 12, Under-14 and Under-16 will be breeding ground for the sport and brings great relief as the last of such tournaments was organized at least a decade ago.
Mr Obodai Sai, Head of Sales and Marketing of the Mc Dan Group, in a media interaction to launch the tournament, said the decision to support the juvenile competition affirms the multiple award winning company’s commitment to revamping tennis in the country.
He said “We started the juvenile program by putting together a two-week camping program for the children at the Winneba Sports College. “We have been supporting tennis for close to five years, management thought it prudent to go to the basics (Kids) because in them lies the future of tennis hence this program.
“Our desire to take tennis to the next level will come to naught if we don’t start with the kids. We chose the date with their vacation in mind to engage them to make good use of their holidays.”
Ghana Tennis Federation president Isaac Aboagye Duah hailed McDan for the vision and support for the sport.
At stake are scholarship programs and certificates for the over hundred participants aged between 12 and 16 who will excel.
The competition has received support from Twellium Industries Limited, producers of Planet Soft Drinks and Verna Mineral Water and Health Net Clinic.
Have your say
More Sports Headlines
- Dinnage to become first female Premier League chief executive
- U-17 WWC: Ghana coach eyes winning start against Uruguay
- 10 winners emerge in Maltavator Challenge season 2 Takoradi edition
- Solari to get Real Madrid job on permanent basis
- 2019 AFCON qualifier: Kwadwo Asamoah out of Ethiopia clash
- Caf calls off qualifier between Kenya and Sierra Leone
- SCOREBOARD: Results from top European leagues
- Serie A: Higuain sent off as Juventus win at AC Milan
- Ligue 1: Cavani hits hat-trick as PSG thrash Monaco
- La Liga: Real Madrid beat Celta to narrow Barca lead
- Copa Libertadores final: River Plate earn draw at Boca Juniors in thrilling first leg
- 2018 AWCON: Ghana beat South Africa in final warm-up game
- Inter Allies mar Hearts of Oak birthday to win Anniversary Cup
- Man City claim deserved derby victory over Man Utd
- Mkhitaryan rescues Arsenal against Wolves