Venus Williams moved into the third round of the US Open by overcoming France's Oceane Dodin 7-5 6-4.
The 37-year-old hit 33 winners in the first match of day three's night session at Flushing Meadows.
The final match of the day saw fifth seed and two-time finalist Caroline Wozniacki suffer a shock 6-2 6-7 (5-7) 6-1 defeat by Ekaterina Makarova.
Wimbledon champion Garbine Muguruza eased past Ying-Ying Duan in straight sets 6-4 6-0.
Fourth seed Elina Svitolina saw off Katerina Siniakova 6-0 6-7 (5-7) 6-3 and next plays Evgeniya Rodina, who beat Eugenie Bouchard 7-6 (7-2) 6-1.
Telesol launches 4G internet service; set to bridge digital gap
Managing Director of Telesol, a 4G-internet service provider said the company is set to adopt new technologies to widen the current digital divide between Africa and the rest of the world beginning from Ghana.
Sloane Stephens, a semi-finalist in Toronto and Cincinnati, defeated 11th seed Dominika Cibulkova 6-2 5-7 6-3.
Eighth seed Svetlana Kuznetsova,who won at Flushing Meadows in 2004, saved three match points to prevail against Marketa Vondrousova in an entertaining encounter on Grandstand Court.
The 18-year-old Vondrousova was left in tears as she lost the final-set tie-break after struggling with cramp.
Two-time Wimbledon champion Petra Kvitova, seeded 13th, saw off Alize Cornet, who beat Heather Watson in round one, 6-1 6-2.
Fourteenth seed Kristina Mladenovic, who has gone out in the first round in her past three tournaments, continued the pattern as she lost in straight sets to Romania's Monica Niculescu.
American 20th seed Coco Vandeweghe beat compatriot Alison Riske 2-6 6-3 6-4, despite a mixed performance that saw her make 45 unforced errors, while Agnieszka Radwanska registered a 6-4 7-6 (7-3) win over Petra Martic.
Elsewhere, 25th seed Daria Gavrilova, who won her first WTA title at the Connecticut Open earlier this month, beat America's Allie Kiick in straight sets to set up a meeting with Shelby Rogers.
However, 26th seed Anett Kontaveit was beaten 6-7 (5-7) 6-1 6-4 by Czech world number 37 Lucie Safarova.
Have your say
More Sports Headlines
- Moura’s late goal in Barcelona takes Tottenham through to last 16
- Salah goal sends Liverpool into Champions League last 16
- StanChart launches “Stand Red Campaign”
- Yaya Toure leaves Olympiakos after three months
- Injured Man City midfielder Silva out for 'a few weeks'
- 'I've always liked Real Madrid!' - Hazard hints at Chelsea exit
- T.I AMASS win Ashanti Regional Inter-Schools Soccer championship
- Chelsea fans banned for alleged abuse of Man City forward Sterling
- Isaac Dogboe: Of poor preparation, a battering and lame excuses
- Evans Aryee 'dethrone' Dimpson Doodo of number one squash spot
- Akufo-Addo commissions Lord’s Wembley Plus mini stadium
- Ronaldo challenges Messi to join him in Italy
- Sterling negative press coverage 'emboldens racist rhetoric' - PFA
- Wembley Sports to partner government to construct 100 parks
- Has Dogboe fought too many times in 2018? No, he hasn't