President Akufo-Addo has signed an Instrument to rename the Tamale Sports Stadium to Aliu Mahama Sports Stadium, in honour of the late Aliu Mahama, the former Vice President.
The renaming is part of the fifth-anniversary celebration of his passing.
“It is proper to name after it the former Vice President to recognize his immense contribution to the development and promotion of sports, particularly, football," the Instrument said.
It added, "his significant contribution to the construction and development of the Stadium and his commitment to ensuring discipline and inspiring leadership in the youth of Ghana.”
The late Aliu Mahama was a native Dagbon, who served as President John Agyekum Kufuor's Vice President from 2001 – 2008.
His development and promotion of sports, particularly football, began with the Real Tamale United (RTU) Football Club, where he was a founding member and bankroller for several years.
Throughout his lifetime, Aliu Mahama was a supporter of youth and sports development and he helped raise awareness of discipline with his “Campaign for greater discipline.”
He remains an inspiration to the youth as well as sportsmen and women irrespective of their socio-economic background or ethnicity, and a national icon.
"The Tamale Sports Stadium holds great significance in the life of the late Alhaji Aliu Mahama as it remains a constant reminder of the realization of his effort at promoting football in the Northern Region.
"It also achieves one of his lifelong goals of giving football fans in the Northern Region the opportunity to experience exhilarating local and international football matches," a statement from the presidency said.
The ceremony for the renaming will take place on December 10, 2017, in Tamale.
Have your say
More Sports Headlines
- SCOREBOARD: Results from top European leagues
- Shaqiri double sees Liverpool beat Man Utd to go top
- Hazard stars as Chelsea hold on to beat Brighton
- Southampton end Arsenal's 22-match unbeaten run
- Stuttgart captain's father dies in stadium after Bundesliga game
- EPL Wrap: Man City return to top, Spurs grab late winner
- Defender Smalling signs new Man Utd contract
- 2019 Africa Cup of Nations: Caf confirms bids from SA and Egypt
- CAF CC: Kotoko hold Kariobangi to goalless draw in first leg
- Mohamed Salah named BBC African Footballer of the Year 2018
- Jose Mourinho: Man Utd 'far' from being built in my image
- Active football in Ghana to resume next month
- Coca-Cola Minigolf League: Six clubs set for finals
- Eunice Beckmann to hold charity event for street kids in Accra
- Full list of revised shortlists for 2018 CAF Awards