President Akufo-Addo has signed an Instrument to rename the Tamale Sports Stadium to Aliu Mahama Sports Stadium, in honour of the late Aliu Mahama, the former Vice President.
The renaming is part of the fifth-anniversary celebration of his passing.
“It is proper to name after it the former Vice President to recognize his immense contribution to the development and promotion of sports, particularly, football," the Instrument said.
It added, "his significant contribution to the construction and development of the Stadium and his commitment to ensuring discipline and inspiring leadership in the youth of Ghana.”
The late Aliu Mahama was a native Dagbon, who served as President John Agyekum Kufuor's Vice President from 2001 – 2008.
His development and promotion of sports, particularly football, began with the Real Tamale United (RTU) Football Club, where he was a founding member and bankroller for several years.
Throughout his lifetime, Aliu Mahama was a supporter of youth and sports development and he helped raise awareness of discipline with his “Campaign for greater discipline.”
He remains an inspiration to the youth as well as sportsmen and women irrespective of their socio-economic background or ethnicity, and a national icon.
"The Tamale Sports Stadium holds great significance in the life of the late Alhaji Aliu Mahama as it remains a constant reminder of the realization of his effort at promoting football in the Northern Region.
"It also achieves one of his lifelong goals of giving football fans in the Northern Region the opportunity to experience exhilarating local and international football matches," a statement from the presidency said.
The ceremony for the renaming will take place on December 10, 2017, in Tamale.
Have your say
More Sports Headlines
- Barcelona close in on La Liga title with routine win at Alaves
- William Amponsah wins 2019 Kwahu Easter Mountain Marathon
- Over 100 golfers ready to compete in SA Golf Tourney
- VIDEO FEATURE: Nana Ama Ayenor, the young female coach on a mission
- Hudson-Odoi out for rest of season after rupturing achilles
- Ishmael Arthur wins Asante Akyem Marathon
- FC Bayern opens first African soccer school in Ethiopia
- Dogboe predicts knockout victory over Navarrete in rematch
- Solskjaer: I don't know if Man Utd players care
- NC Special Cup: WAFA beat Hearts as Dwarfs and B. Chelsea secure first wins
- SCOREBOARD: Results from top European leagues
- PSG clinch eighth Ligue 1 title after Lille draw
- Everton put 4 past woeful Man United
- Betway Easter Gala 2019: Top 4 winners awarded
- NC Special Cup: Matchday 6 preview