President Akufo-Addo has signed an Instrument to rename the Tamale Sports Stadium to Aliu Mahama Sports Stadium, in honour of the late Aliu Mahama, the former Vice President.
The renaming is part of the fifth-anniversary celebration of his passing.
“It is proper to name after it the former Vice President to recognize his immense contribution to the development and promotion of sports, particularly, football," the Instrument said.
It added, "his significant contribution to the construction and development of the Stadium and his commitment to ensuring discipline and inspiring leadership in the youth of Ghana.”
The late Aliu Mahama was a native Dagbon, who served as President John Agyekum Kufuor's Vice President from 2001 – 2008.
His development and promotion of sports, particularly football, began with the Real Tamale United (RTU) Football Club, where he was a founding member and bankroller for several years.
Throughout his lifetime, Aliu Mahama was a supporter of youth and sports development and he helped raise awareness of discipline with his “Campaign for greater discipline.”
He remains an inspiration to the youth as well as sportsmen and women irrespective of their socio-economic background or ethnicity, and a national icon.
"The Tamale Sports Stadium holds great significance in the life of the late Alhaji Aliu Mahama as it remains a constant reminder of the realization of his effort at promoting football in the Northern Region.
"It also achieves one of his lifelong goals of giving football fans in the Northern Region the opportunity to experience exhilarating local and international football matches," a statement from the presidency said.
The ceremony for the renaming will take place on December 10, 2017, in Tamale.
Have your say
More Sports Headlines
- Mikel Obi retires from international football
- A fifth “All-African Coaches” AFCON final
- Juventus sign De Ligt on five-year deal
- AFCON 2019: Ighalo hands Nigeria bronze
- Atletico Madrid sign Tottenham defender Kieran Trippier
- Kotoko midfielder Kwame Bonsu completes move to Esperance
- CAF adopts one-leg finals for club competitions
- Real Zaragoza sign Raphael Dwamena from Levante
- Caf expands Women's AFCON to 12 teams
- Tunisia v Nigeria: kick-off time, team news, head to head, form and more
- Blatter labels Samoura's Caf move 'colonialist'
- Pernell Whitaker was unique - Eddie Pappoe
- #AFCON Offside: Ismailia, the beautiful city without V8 [Photos]
- Ghana Football Awards billboards hit town
- Marc Batchelor: South African former footballer shot dead