President Akufo-Addo has signed an Instrument to rename the Tamale Sports Stadium to Aliu Mahama Sports Stadium, in honour of the late Aliu Mahama, the former Vice President.
The renaming is part of the fifth-anniversary celebration of his passing.
“It is proper to name after it the former Vice President to recognize his immense contribution to the development and promotion of sports, particularly, football," the Instrument said.
It added, "his significant contribution to the construction and development of the Stadium and his commitment to ensuring discipline and inspiring leadership in the youth of Ghana.”
The late Aliu Mahama was a native Dagbon, who served as President John Agyekum Kufuor's Vice President from 2001 – 2008.
His development and promotion of sports, particularly football, began with the Real Tamale United (RTU) Football Club, where he was a founding member and bankroller for several years.
Throughout his lifetime, Aliu Mahama was a supporter of youth and sports development and he helped raise awareness of discipline with his “Campaign for greater discipline.”
He remains an inspiration to the youth as well as sportsmen and women irrespective of their socio-economic background or ethnicity, and a national icon.
"The Tamale Sports Stadium holds great significance in the life of the late Alhaji Aliu Mahama as it remains a constant reminder of the realization of his effort at promoting football in the Northern Region.
"It also achieves one of his lifelong goals of giving football fans in the Northern Region the opportunity to experience exhilarating local and international football matches," a statement from the presidency said.
The ceremony for the renaming will take place on December 10, 2017, in Tamale.
Have your say
More Sports Headlines
- Sergio Ramos and his 25 Real Madrid red cards: a retrospective
- Ramos sent off as Real Madrid suffer shock home loss to Girona
- I was destined to be world champion - Commey
- SCOREBOARD: Results from top European leagues
- Messi scores one penalty but misses another in Barca win
- Morocco to bring in VAR technology for all top-flight league games
- CAF CC: Ex-Kotoko star Yusif Chibsah thinks key to qualifying is winning away matches
- Tanko hints at call-ups for Kotoko players for Kenya Clash
- I’m not scared of Tagoe - Richard Commey
- Valverde signs one-year contract extension at Barcelona
- Arsenal lose at BATE as Chelsea, Napoli and Inter win in Europa League
- Man Utd pay Mourinho and his staff £19.6m after sacking
- Barcelona expect Messi to sign another contract
- NBA: Harden matches Chamberlain's 57-year-old scoring record
- Asensio nets late Real winner as Ajax left to rue VAR decision