The third edition of the Accra marathon is scheduled to come off on October 7, with about 10,000 expected participants, partaking in various categories.
The event which was launched on September 7 by the Accra Mayor, Mohammed Adjei Sowah, will see people competing in events such as para-cycling, 5km, and 21km races as well as the CEO and elite challenge.
With a purpose of bringing people together to express freedom, togetherness, and passion through running in the vibrant landscape of the capital city, the Accra Marathon represents a continental drive to promote the Sustainable development Goal number 3, Good health and wellbeing.
The event which is organized by Accra Marathon, an organization which is versed in the management of international athletics programmes with the Accra Metropolitan Assembly (AMA) playing a pivotal role.
According to the Mayor, the event themed 'A Vibrant And Smart City' will be used to promote fitness and a healthy vibrant city, all towards the goal of making Accra the cleanest and healthiest city in Africa.
Menzgold is the lead sponsor with support from Ghana National Petroleum Company (GNPC), Ghana Commercial Bank (GCB Bank), Coral Paints and Rana Motors.
Papaye, MTN, Total Ghana, Goil Ghana, Gridco, BS5, Twillium Ghana, Tang Palace Hotel, DDP, IPMC, AMS, Wigal, Ghana Shippers Council and Millennium Insurance are also among the companies supporting the event.
This year’s event is not only a fitness exercise but promises to be exciting and entertaining as prominent personalities have taken the mayor’s challenge to prove their fitness prowess.
On the launch day, the Mayor threw a challenge to the Deputy Minister of Sport, Pius Enam Hadidze as well as other public figures to come out and promote fitness and health.
Rapper Okyeame Kwame has responded to the Mayor’s challenge boosting the excitement and anticipation for the event.
Chairman of Accra Marathon, Ashim Morton, who over the years has worked to ensure a successful marathon promised an exciting package this year. He entreats people to come out in their numbers and run their way to a better and healthier life.
Registration is already underway and interested persons can register www.accramarathon.com or the AMA Head Office and Frankies in Osu.
Have your say
More Sports Headlines
- Didier Drogba: Chelsea and Ivory Coast legend retires from playing
- FIFA removes ethics judge from duty after arrest in Malaysia
- AWCON 2018: Holders Nigeria score four as South Africa net seven
- Unilever Minigolf schools competition tee off
- Kumasi catches Maltavator Challenge season 2 “fever”
- UEFA Nations League finals: All you need to know
- AWCON 2018: Ghana coach Hayford blames referee for shock defeat to Mali
- U-17 WWC: Ghana top group thanks to Abdulai brace
- AWCON 2018: Ghana suffers shock defeat to Mali in second group game
- AWCON 2018: Zambia dreaming big after Eq.Guinea thrashes star player Mwakapila
- AWCON 2018: Nigeria coach worried about 'snail-pace' build-up ahead of crucial Zambia test
- Development of football in Ghana – A general industrial development perspective
- AL-SMITH: Have Nigeria’s Super Falcons lost their fear factor? Looks like it.
- Yusif Abubakar: Former Aduana Stars coach dies
- 'Be more serious!' - Suarez urges team-mate Dembele to focus