Philippe Coutinho was in scintillating form as Liverpool bolstered their hopes of a top four finish with a 3-1 victory over Everton following a feisty Anfield derby
The Brazilian curled in his eighth goal of the season just 177 seconds after Matty Pennington had cancelled out Sadio Mane's solo opener to give the Reds the interval lead.
It capped a welcome return to form for Coutinho who then set up substitute Divock Origi to seal the league double over their neighbours on the hour.
Everton's main threat came from set pieces and their frustration at failing to triumph for a 13th straight derby threatened to boil over with Ashley Williams and Ross Barkley perhaps lucky to escape red cards.
The victory sees Jurgen Klopp's men move two points ahead of Manchester City into third spot, though the success was slightly soured by the loss of Mane to what looked like a nasty ankle injury.
The Reds have played at least two games more than the rest of their top four rivals, and the Citizens can edge ahead of them once again if they win at sixth-placed Arsenal on Sunday afternoon.
Have your say
More Sports Headlines
- Raheem Sterling: Man City forward says newspapers 'fuel racism' in football
- SCOREBOARD: Results from top European leagues
- Isaac Dogboe loses WBO world super bantamweight title to Emanuel Navarrete
- Chelsea inflict first defeat of season on Man City
- Arsenal need Torreira stunner to overcome Huddersfield
- Man Utd end winless run by sweeping aside Fulham
- Salah scores hat-trick as Liverpool thrash Bournemouth
- Wilder v Fury II: WBC sanctions 'direct' rematch
- Isaac Dogboe- Africa's first boxing Pay-per-view star?
- Manchester United: Fred must wait until team 'better balanced' - Mourinho
- Copa Libertadores final: Boca Juniors v River Plate in Madrid 'embarrassing'
- Frank Acheampong revels in Tianjin Teda relegation escape
- MLS clubs will sign more young players from Africa- US Club Soccer chief Payne
- Columbus Crew star Afful confident former coach Berhalter can make USMNT sparkle again
- Normalisation Committee denies resumption of Ghana Premier League in January