Shipping and logistics giants, McDan Group has fulfilled its pledge to juvenile tennis players who excelled in the just-ended McDan Juniors Open Tennis championship.
McDan Group chairman, Dr Daniel McKorley together with his spouse, Mrs Abigail McKorley together with officials from the Canadian Embassy yesterday presented the cheques to the outstanding players and their parents at his East Legon office.
The six winners in the three age categories-U-12, 14 and U-16 (Boys and girls) each received ¢2,000 scholarship worth, runners-up (six) took home ¢1,500, while the semi finalists, numbering seven received ¢1,000 worth of scholarship each.
The McDan boss indicated that plans are in place to ensure tennis in the country is developed.
“We will be selecting 20, pay their fees to the highest level of their education, camp them at Winneba and would be coached by Bagerbaseh.
“Later, we will fly them out to the ITF Centre in Morocco for two years and depending on how they will fare, we will take them to the States (US).
He charged the players to be serious with training, respect their coaches and the sky will be their limit.
“We are not stopping now, we walk the talk, and since we walk the talk, we want to see results. I have confidence in the kids; give McDan two or three years and you will see the kids playing Grand Slams. It is a promise I am giving to the nation.”
Tennis president Isaac Duah commended McDan for his unflinching support for tennis in the country.
Meanwhile, the presentation ceremony saw Dr McKorley presenting $1,000 cash each to coaches Francis Mainoo (Ashaiman) and Bagerbaseh for their selfless efforts in the development of the young talents.
Have your say
More Sports Headlines
- Dinnage to become first female Premier League chief executive
- U-17 WWC: Ghana coach eyes winning start against Uruguay
- 10 winners emerge in Maltavator Challenge season 2 Takoradi edition
- Solari to get Real Madrid job on permanent basis
- 2019 AFCON qualifier: Kwadwo Asamoah out of Ethiopia clash
- Caf calls off qualifier between Kenya and Sierra Leone
- SCOREBOARD: Results from top European leagues
- Serie A: Higuain sent off as Juventus win at AC Milan
- Ligue 1: Cavani hits hat-trick as PSG thrash Monaco
- La Liga: Real Madrid beat Celta to narrow Barca lead
- Copa Libertadores final: River Plate earn draw at Boca Juniors in thrilling first leg
- 2018 AWCON: Ghana beat South Africa in final warm-up game
- Inter Allies mar Hearts of Oak birthday to win Anniversary Cup
- Man City claim deserved derby victory over Man Utd
- Mkhitaryan rescues Arsenal against Wolves