The Portuguese boss kept his promise by donning a hat and mask after leading his side to the Champions League knockout stages
Shakhtar pulled off a memorable 2-1 victory over Manchester City on Wednesday night which ended the Premier League side's 28-game unbeaten streak.
Diminutive Brazilian Bernard curled in a beauty in the first half, shortly before Ismaily made it 2-0. Sergio Aguero pulled a goal back for the visitors – already group winners pre-match – with a penalty in added time, but it wasn't enough as Shakhtar finished the group stage in second place.
The Ukrainian side's Portuguese manager Fonseca had promised to dress up as Zorro if he got his team to the last 16 - and so he did.
"This is the most joyful news conference of my career," Fonseca chuckled to baffled reporters.
"I feel great joy. I think not only Shakhtar's supporters but all Ukrainians have to be proud of our team."
Shakhtar faced a tough task making it out of the group ahead of Serie A high-fliers Napoli, whose 2-1 loss to Feyenoord capped a miserable night for the Italians.
Fonseca's side are still playing away from Donetsk amid political troubles, 154 miles away in Kharkiv as the crow flies.
Have your say
More Sports Headlines
- Mohamed Salah named BBC African Footballer of the Year 2018
- Jose Mourinho: Man Utd 'far' from being built in my image
- Active football in Ghana to resume next month
- Coca-Cola Minigolf League: Six clubs set for finals
- Eunice Beckmann to hold charity event for street kids in Accra
- Full list of revised shortlists for 2018 CAF Awards
- Partey fails to make Caf 10-man shortlist for Footballer of the Year award
- Egypt FA in U-turn over 2019 Africa Cup of Nations bid
- WTA gives increased protection for returning mothers on tour for 2019
- Morocco decide against 2019 Africa Cup of Nations bid
- UCL: Real Madrid suffer record home loss to CSKA Moscow
- Man City forward Sterling named Premier League player of the month
- 2009 U-20 World Cup MVP Dominic Adiyiah joins Thai second-tier club
- Richard Commey 'feels like a complete fighter' ahead of world title fight
- CAF CC: StarTimes to broadcast Kotoko's first leg clash with Kariabangi