AFCON 2017: Egypt coach Hector Cuper plans to take 24 players to Gabon
Egypt coach Hector Cuper says he will send 24 players to Gabon should there be an emergency.
Cuper has therefore invited Masry defender Hamada Tolba to join his squad.
The 35-year-old was part of the Pharaohs squad during the 2018 World Cup qualifiers but could not make the final squad.
"Hamada Tolba will join our squad for the Nations Cup to secure the team in case of any emergency," Cuper told a television programme after the 1-0 friendly win over Tunisia at Cairo stadium on Sunday.
"Tolba is a joker player, who can help at any place in the defence. He is the player you wish to have in your squad at anytime.
"Tolba is the only player who can replace any injured player in the squad as he can fill in any place in the defence area."
The Pharaohs start their campaign against Mali on 17 January at the Stade de Port-Gentil.
Have your say
More Sports Headlines
- Didier Drogba: Chelsea and Ivory Coast legend retires from playing
- FIFA removes ethics judge from duty after arrest in Malaysia
- AWCON 2018: Holders Nigeria score four as South Africa net seven
- Unilever Minigolf schools competition tee off
- Kumasi catches Maltavator Challenge season 2 “fever”
- UEFA Nations League finals: All you need to know
- AWCON 2018: Ghana coach Hayford blames referee for shock defeat to Mali
- U-17 WWC: Ghana top group thanks to Abdulai brace
- AWCON 2018: Ghana suffers shock defeat to Mali in second group game
- AWCON 2018: Zambia dreaming big after Eq.Guinea thrashes star player Mwakapila
- AWCON 2018: Nigeria coach worried about 'snail-pace' build-up ahead of crucial Zambia test
- Development of football in Ghana – A general industrial development perspective
- AL-SMITH: Have Nigeria’s Super Falcons lost their fear factor? Looks like it.
- Yusif Abubakar: Former Aduana Stars coach dies
- 'Be more serious!' - Suarez urges team-mate Dembele to focus