Ajax midfielder Abdelhak Nouri has suffered severe and permanent brain damage after collapsing on Saturday, the Dutch club have reported.
The 20-year-old was taken to hospital by helicopter after collapsing during the pre-season friendly against Werder Bremen in Austria. The match was abandoned.
"Ajax are deeply saddened by the news that Appie Nouri has been diagnosed with serious and permanent brain damage," the club said on Twitter.
"Our thoughts and prayers go out to him and his loved ones in this difficult time."
Have your say
More Sports Headlines
- 2019 AFCON qualifier: Kwadwo Asamoah out of Ethiopia clash
- Caf calls off qualifier between Kenya and Sierra Leone
- SCOREBOARD: Results from top European leagues
- Serie A: Higuain sent off as Juventus win at AC Milan
- Ligue 1: Cavani hits hat-trick as PSG thrash Monaco
- La Liga: Real Madrid beat Celta to narrow Barca lead
- Copa Libertadores final: River Plate earn draw at Boca Juniors in thrilling first leg
- 2018 AWCON: Ghana beat South Africa in final warm-up game
- Inter Allies mar Hearts of Oak birthday to win Anniversary Cup
- Man City claim deserved derby victory over Man Utd
- Mkhitaryan rescues Arsenal against Wolves
- Messi returns but Barca beaten at home by rampant Betis
- McDan Group takes boxing to Tamale
- Liverpool make hard work of victory over struggling Fulham
- Host Ghana name final squad for 2018 AWCON