He sells boxing bouts better than anyone does here in Ghana and is a good boxer as well. And ahead of his September 30 showdown with long time challenger Batsie Samir, Bukom Banku (Brimah Kamoko) has already started stirring interest. In the latest of his pre-fight razzmatazz Bukom Banku has declared he will “kill” Samir in the ring.
“In an exclusive chat with Joy Sports, Bukom Banku who is looking forward to his 30th straight win at the Bukom Boxing Arena, sent a still photograph of himself holding a rifle over his shoulder and spotting a mean look with sunglasses.
The boy being promoted Accra-based by Box Office promotions is expected to be the biggest grudge bout in Ghana for the year 2017 due to the massive interest shown by the public and the countless confrontations between both boxers.
“I will knock Bastie out. He is nowhere near me in terms of quality and I don’t know why people are fussing about him. I am the President of Boxing in Ghana and that’s an undeniable fact. Many have accused me of running away from the challenge but that was never the case,” he told Joy Sports.
According to the undefeated cruiserweight, the delay in responding to Bastie’s challenge was just to stir bigger interest. “Mayweather versus Pacquaio delayed for 3 years and eventually came off in 2015. So that’s how boxing goes,” Banku explained.
Bukom Banku’s record of 29 wins with 22 of them coming by knockout has built a good image in the ring with annexing a major world title, the only element missing in his success story so far. The Ghanaian boxer has had his fair share of reigning champions refusing to give him a shot to challenge for the title – one of them being Nathan Cleverly. At light heavyweight, Banku annexed the Africa and the WBO Africa titles. He has also annexed the WBO Africa Cruiserweight title as well.
Bastie Samir at the first news conference to announce the bouts some weeks back, vowed to cause the biggest upset in recent Ghanaian boxing history by winning the fight. Samir a 2008 Olympian, Captained Ghana’s Amateur Boxing team the Black Bombers to many tournaments including the African Championships and the AIBA World Championships.
Have your say
More Sports Headlines
- Photos: Prez Akufo-Addo surprises Black Stars in camp ahead of Ethiopia clash
- 2018 AWCON: Ghana open campaign with win over Algeria
- AWCON 2018: Four key players to watch
- U-17 WWC: Two straight wins for Ghana after hard-fought Finland victory
- Former 'Black Queens' players lead 2018 TOTAL AWCON Trophy tour in Accra
- Asante Kotoko policy analyst counts benefits of Soccerex exhibition
- Kenya loses CAS appeal over Women's Nations Cup exclusion
- Nigeria still AWCON favourites, but face tougher task than normal
- Black Queens begin quest for first AWCON title on Saturday
- VAR set to be used in Premier League next season
- Kwesi Appiah defends Ghana's big-name recalls
- Mourinho better than Guardiola - Maradona
- Wayne Rooney to be England captain during farewell appearance
- 46 Sports Associations to benefit from GHASSEP Seminars
- UGBS Marketing lecturer argues Hearts-Umbro deal will cut local jobs