EPL: Man City restore eight-point lead, Sanchez penalty gives Arsenal win

EPL: Man City restore eight-point lead, Sanchez penalty gives Arsenal win
Source: BBC
Date: 26-11-2017 Time: 04:11:52:pm

Leaders Manchester City came from behind to beat Huddersfield Town and secure an 11th successive Premier League victory.

Pep Guardiola's side equalled the club record - set in 2015 - despite falling behind just before the break through a Nicolas Otamendi own goal.

Sergio Aguero's penalty early in the second half drew City level, and Raheem Sterling struck the winner with only six minutes to go.

This was the first time City have come from behind at half-time to win a Premier League away match since April 1995.

Alexis Sanchez

Alexis Sanchez scored an injury-time penalty to give Arsenal victory over Burnley at Turf Moor.

It was a repeat of last season's meeting between the sides at the Emirates Stadium when Chilean Sanchez slotted in a 98th-minute spot-kick to win the game. It was also the third consecutive time that the Gunners had grabbed a winner in stoppage-time against the Clarets.

The three points moves Arsenal up to fourth in the table ahead of north London rivals Tottenham, who drew 1-1 against West Brom on Saturday.

The result was harsh on Sean Dyche's side, having defended valiantly up until that point and looking like grabbing at least a point, before referee Lee Mason pointed to the spot after defender James Tarkowski pushed Aaron Ramsey.

Petr Cech was the busier of the two goalkeepers, making two crucial saves to deny Johann Berg Gudmundsson, brilliantly tipping the Iceland international's drive onto the post and keeping out a low, rasping shot.

Robbie Brady also had a free-kick towards the top corner pushed away by Cech.

Elsewhere, Everton caretaker manager David Unsworth said "things have to change quickly" at the club after their poor run continued with a 4-1 defeat at Southampton.

Saints striker Charlie Austin scored two second-half headers on his first league start of the season as the Toffees capitulated after half-time.

They have now won only once in seven games under Unsworth.

"It's killing me," said the 44-year-old former Everton defender, who urged the board to quickly appoint a permanent manager.

"I take responsibility, but we all have to as well. We're in a tough place and things have to change quickly."

Have your say  

More Sports Headlines

What others are reading
National Cathedral: No Duncan Williams, no!
Coach acquitted and discharged over “fingering” a minor
Contempt of court looms over construction of Madina-Adentan footbridges
Man’s presumed brain tumor miraculously disappears a day before surgery