The Sports Ministry is determined to mediate the impasse between former Youth Olympics Gold medalist Martha Bissah and the Ghana Athletics Association (GAA).
According to Deputy Minister Pius Hadzide, the Ministry will find an amicable solution in a bid to preventing Bissah from switching nationalities.
Bissah, who is now based in the USA, cannot represent Ghana at any event as she is serving an indefinite suspension after failing to substantiate bribery allegations levelled against executives last year and there are fears the budding talent will be lured to switch her nationality.
Photo: Martha Bissah adjudged Most Outstanding Track Athlete at MEAC Indoor Meet
In an interview with Joy Sports, the Deputy Minister said it was unfortunate that the issue had been allowed to drag, but insisted everything possible will be done to get Bissah to compete for the country.
‘’The impasse between Bissah and Ghana Athletics Association have come to the attention of the Ministry and we are taking steps to ensure that we are able to get a peaceful resolution to this matter and to ensure that Martha Bissah continues to play her role as a patriotic Ghanaian, competing for and on behalf of Ghana.‘’
‘’I myself have met the Ghana Athletics Association executives and they are cooperative and quiet understanding.
We also have made contact with people who are close to Martha because we understand she is out of Ghana at this time and so we are confident that proceeding on the path that we are, we believe that Martha will not switch nationality this year or any other year and we will a resolution to this matter.’’ Hadzide concluded.
Bissah, who is gradually showing recovery of her lost form, has expressed her frustration with the GAA ban, saying it was preventing her from competing in events which she needed her country’s clearance to take part in.
Have your say
More Sports Headlines
- 2019 AFCON qualifier: Kwadwo Asamoah out of Ethiopia clash
- Caf calls off qualifier between Kenya and Sierra Leone
- SCOREBOARD: Results from top European leagues
- Serie A: Higuain sent off as Juventus win at AC Milan
- Ligue 1: Cavani hits hat-trick as PSG thrash Monaco
- La Liga: Real Madrid beat Celta to narrow Barca lead
- Copa Libertadores final: River Plate earn draw at Boca Juniors in thrilling first leg
- 2018 AWCON: Ghana beat South Africa in final warm-up game
- Inter Allies mar Hearts of Oak birthday to win Anniversary Cup
- Man City claim deserved derby victory over Man Utd
- Mkhitaryan rescues Arsenal against Wolves
- Messi returns but Barca beaten at home by rampant Betis
- McDan Group takes boxing to Tamale
- Liverpool make hard work of victory over struggling Fulham
- Host Ghana name final squad for 2018 AWCON