Top seeds Rafael Nadal and Roger Federer remain on course to meet in Shanghai after reaching the last four.
World number one Nadal beat Grigor Dimitrov 6-4 6-7 (4-7) 6-4 to register his 15th consecutive win and will face fourth seed Marin Cilic in the semis.
Second seed Federer and 16th seed Del Potro will play each other in the second semi-final in China.
Del Potro overcame an injury scare to beat Victor Troicki 4-6 6-1 6-4, while Federer beat Richard Gasquet 7-5 6-4.
Briton Jamie Murray and Brazil's Bruno Soares reached the doubles semi-finals with a 6-1 7-6 (8-6) victory over Raven Klaasen and Rajeev Ram.
The victory ensured that the pair, who have won two Grand Slams and six titles together, qualified for the ATP World Tour Finals in London next month.
Top seed Nadal is chasing a tour-leading seventh title this season, and beat Bulgaria's Dimitrov for the second time in a week following his semi-final victory at the China Open.
The Spaniard, 31, breezed through the first set but was unable to break Dimitrov in the second, and the Bulgarian was strong in the tie-break to force a deciding set.
Dimitrov, ranked eighth in the world, had break point early in the third set, but Nadal saved it with a backhand volley before winning three consecutive games.
World number five Cilic secured his place in the semi-finals with a routine victory over Spain's Albert Ramos-Vinolas.
The Croat, who has yet to drop a set in this year's tournament, served 10 aces as he registered a 6-3 6-4 win.
Have your say
More Sports Headlines
- Dinnage to become first female Premier League chief executive
- U-17 WWC: Ghana coach eyes winning start against Uruguay
- 10 winners emerge in Maltavator Challenge season 2 Takoradi edition
- Solari to get Real Madrid job on permanent basis
- 2019 AFCON qualifier: Kwadwo Asamoah out of Ethiopia clash
- Caf calls off qualifier between Kenya and Sierra Leone
- SCOREBOARD: Results from top European leagues
- Serie A: Higuain sent off as Juventus win at AC Milan
- Ligue 1: Cavani hits hat-trick as PSG thrash Monaco
- La Liga: Real Madrid beat Celta to narrow Barca lead
- Copa Libertadores final: River Plate earn draw at Boca Juniors in thrilling first leg
- 2018 AWCON: Ghana beat South Africa in final warm-up game
- Inter Allies mar Hearts of Oak birthday to win Anniversary Cup
- Man City claim deserved derby victory over Man Utd
- Mkhitaryan rescues Arsenal against Wolves