Legendary Ghanaian boxer, Azumah Nelson has been presented with the World Boxing Council (WBC) Champion Award at the 55th WBC Convention currently ongoing in Baku, Azerbaijan.
Nelson, widely considered the greatest African boxer of all time, was for the second time since his retirement honoured by the WBC sanctioning body. He held the WBC featherweight title once and the WBC super featherweight title twice during his heydey.
Other honorees on the night included fellow boxing Hall-of-Famers Evander Holyfield, Bernard Hopkins and Kostya Tszyu.
After calling time on his career in 1998, Nelson had a record of 39 wins, 6 losses and 2 draws, with 28 knockout wins.
He made a brief comeback to engage lifelong rival Jeff Fenech in Australia in 2008 to raise funds for a charity project being undertaken by the Azumah Nelson Foundation.
He has been actively engaged with inspiring Ghanaian high school students to focus on their studies with a programme dubbed "Time With The Professor", which he uses to interact with selected students in the various schools across the country.
Recently, he has been mentoring several young boxers including his young son Azumah Nelson Junior in the sport.
Nelson is also involved in boxing promotion in Ghana, partnering Hemann Promotions to stage the popular Azumah Nelson Fight Night series.
He is also the brand ambassador of oil marketing company, GOIL and a Director at Director at Kenpong Construction & Telecom Limited
Have your say
More Sports Headlines
- WTA gives increased protection for returning mothers on tour for 2019
- Morocco decide against 2019 Africa Cup of Nations bid
- UCL: Real Madrid suffer record home loss to CSKA Moscow
- Man City forward Sterling named Premier League player of the month
- 2009 U-20 World Cup MVP Dominic Adiyiah joins Thai second-tier club
- Richard Commey 'feels like a complete fighter' ahead of world title fight
- CAF CC: StarTimes to broadcast Kotoko's first leg clash with Kariabangi
- Moura’s late goal in Barcelona takes Tottenham through to last 16
- Salah goal sends Liverpool into Champions League last 16
- StanChart launches “Stand Red Campaign”
- Yaya Toure leaves Olympiakos after three months
- Injured Man City midfielder Silva out for 'a few weeks'
- 'I've always liked Real Madrid!' - Hazard hints at Chelsea exit
- T.I AMASS win Ashanti Regional Inter-Schools Soccer championship
- Chelsea fans banned for alleged abuse of Man City forward Sterling