Malik Yabuku emerged winner of the 2017 21-kilometres Accra Marathon, held over the weekend.
The race, which started and ended at the Black Star Square on Saturday, saw the winner running an impressive time of 1 hour, eight minutes and sixteen seconds (1:08.16), to beat off a stiff challenge from second placed William Amponsah who made 1:08:29.17 and Kwabena Frimpong coming third in a time of 1:09:03.42.
Azuure Elizabeth of the UDS came first in the female category, followed by Precious Nyarko from Kumasi.
Both the male and female winners went home with brand new KIA salon cars, alongside attractive prizes like mobile phones and insurance covers from the sponsors.
The Accra Marathon was organized by the Millennium Marathon Company in collaboration with the Accra Metropolitan Assembly (AMA).
Mr. Mohammed Adjei Sowah, the Mayor of Accra who run the 5km Race with other Members of the Assembly and Members of Parliament said "he was impressed with the event and said the message to make Accra the neatest city is catching on well, as people have become aware of environmental cleanness and have embraced the monthly clean up exercise".
He said he was looking forward to the event growing beyond the boarders of the country to cover other West African countries.
He appealed to the media to market the event, which boosts health lifestyles, tourism and sports.
Ambassador Ashim Morton of the Millennium Marathon Limited expressed his satisfaction with the programme and called on other companies to join to increase the prize package in future.
The 2017 Accra Marathon had Ghana’s premium gold hub company, Menzgold on board as lead sponsors, who gave out medals to every participant, with the
GNPC, GCB, Coral Paints, Rana Motors, Papaye, MTN, Total Ghana, Goil Ghana, Gridco, BS5, Twellium Ghana, Tang Palace Hotel, DDP, IPMC, AMS, Wigal, Ghana Shippers Council, Millennium Insurance and Kwese Sports TV supporting.
Have your say
More Sports Headlines
- AFCON 2019: Salah scores as Egypt move into last 16
- VIDEO: A look at Andre Ayew's record 9 Afcon goals for Ghana
- AFCON 2019: Zimbabwe held after two glaring Musona misses
- AFCON 2019: Omeruo header helps Nigeria qualify for last 16
- Riyad Mahrez, wife ordered to pay former nanny
- AFCON 2019: Amr Warda sent home by Egypt for disciplinary reasons
- Man Utd reach agreement with Palace for £50m Wan-Bissaka
- AFCON 2019: Nigeria players 'owed bonuses and allowances'
- AFCON2019: Pote shots leave Ghana hot in Benin draw
- Ghana 2-2 Benin: Five things we learned
- Ghana 2-2 Benin: Black Stars players rated
- AFCON 2019: Cameroon too strong for Guinea-Bissau
- AFCON 2019: Why this may be Ghana's best yet
- AFCON 2019: Black Stars XI v Benin - Kwadwo Asamoah benched
- AFCON 2019: Can Ghana win? Kinna Likimani doubts