Malik Yabuku emerged winner of the 2017 21-kilometres Accra Marathon, held over the weekend.
The race, which started and ended at the Black Star Square on Saturday, saw the winner running an impressive time of 1 hour, eight minutes and sixteen seconds (1:08.16), to beat off a stiff challenge from second placed William Amponsah who made 1:08:29.17 and Kwabena Frimpong coming third in a time of 1:09:03.42.
Azuure Elizabeth of the UDS came first in the female category, followed by Precious Nyarko from Kumasi.
Both the male and female winners went home with brand new KIA salon cars, alongside attractive prizes like mobile phones and insurance covers from the sponsors.
The Accra Marathon was organized by the Millennium Marathon Company in collaboration with the Accra Metropolitan Assembly (AMA).
Mr. Mohammed Adjei Sowah, the Mayor of Accra who run the 5km Race with other Members of the Assembly and Members of Parliament said "he was impressed with the event and said the message to make Accra the neatest city is catching on well, as people have become aware of environmental cleanness and have embraced the monthly clean up exercise".
He said he was looking forward to the event growing beyond the boarders of the country to cover other West African countries.
He appealed to the media to market the event, which boosts health lifestyles, tourism and sports.
Ambassador Ashim Morton of the Millennium Marathon Limited expressed his satisfaction with the programme and called on other companies to join to increase the prize package in future.
The 2017 Accra Marathon had Ghana’s premium gold hub company, Menzgold on board as lead sponsors, who gave out medals to every participant, with the
GNPC, GCB, Coral Paints, Rana Motors, Papaye, MTN, Total Ghana, Goil Ghana, Gridco, BS5, Twellium Ghana, Tang Palace Hotel, DDP, IPMC, AMS, Wigal, Ghana Shippers Council, Millennium Insurance and Kwese Sports TV supporting.
Have your say
More Sports Headlines
- Raheem Sterling: Man City forward says newspapers 'fuel racism' in football
- SCOREBOARD: Results from top European leagues
- Isaac Dogboe loses WBO world super bantamweight title to Emanuel Navarrete
- Chelsea inflict first defeat of season on Man City
- Arsenal need Torreira stunner to overcome Huddersfield
- Man Utd end winless run by sweeping aside Fulham
- Salah scores hat-trick as Liverpool thrash Bournemouth
- Wilder v Fury II: WBC sanctions 'direct' rematch
- Isaac Dogboe- Africa's first boxing Pay-per-view star?
- Manchester United: Fred must wait until team 'better balanced' - Mourinho
- Copa Libertadores final: Boca Juniors v River Plate in Madrid 'embarrassing'
- Frank Acheampong revels in Tianjin Teda relegation escape
- MLS clubs will sign more young players from Africa- US Club Soccer chief Payne
- Columbus Crew star Afful confident former coach Berhalter can make USMNT sparkle again
- Normalisation Committee denies resumption of Ghana Premier League in January