Manchester United midfielder Paul Pogba is set to be out for between a month and six weeks with the hamstring injury he sustained in Tuesday's Champions League win over Basel.
The France international, 24, had scans on the injury on Wednesday.
It is understood Pogba will miss at least a month, leaving him struggling to be fit for the Premier League trip to Liverpool on 14 October.
United boss Jose Mourinho will give an update at a news conference on Friday.
Pogba will miss league games against Everton, Southampton and Crystal Palace, next Wednesday's League Cup third-round tie with Burton and the Champions League trip to CSKA Moscow on 27 September.
He will also miss France's World Cup qualifiers against Bulgaria and Belarus in early October, which they need to win to guarantee their place in Russia next summer.
Have your say
More Sports Headlines
- SCOREBOARD: Results from top European leagues
- Shaqiri double sees Liverpool beat Man Utd to go top
- Hazard stars as Chelsea hold on to beat Brighton
- Southampton end Arsenal's 22-match unbeaten run
- Stuttgart captain's father dies in stadium after Bundesliga game
- EPL Wrap: Man City return to top, Spurs grab late winner
- Defender Smalling signs new Man Utd contract
- 2019 Africa Cup of Nations: Caf confirms bids from SA and Egypt
- CAF CC: Kotoko hold Kariobangi to goalless draw in first leg
- Mohamed Salah named BBC African Footballer of the Year 2018
- Jose Mourinho: Man Utd 'far' from being built in my image
- Active football in Ghana to resume next month
- Coca-Cola Minigolf League: Six clubs set for finals
- Eunice Beckmann to hold charity event for street kids in Accra
- Full list of revised shortlists for 2018 CAF Awards