The third edition of the Accra marathon is scheduled to come off on October 7, with about 10,000 expected participants, partaking in various categories.
The event which was launched on September 7 by the Accra Mayor, Mohammed Adjei Sowah, will see people competing in events such as para-cycling, 5km, and 21km races as well as the CEO and elite challenge.
With a purpose of bringing people together to express freedom, togetherness, and passion through running in the vibrant landscape of the capital city, the Accra Marathon represents a continental drive to promote the Sustainable development Goal number 3, Good health and wellbeing.
The event which is organized by Accra Marathon, an organization which is versed in the management of international athletics programmes with the Accra Metropolitan Assembly (AMA) playing a pivotal role.
According to the Mayor, the event themed 'A Vibrant And Smart City' will be used to promote fitness and a healthy vibrant city, all towards the goal of making Accra the cleanest and healthiest city in Africa.
Menzgold is the lead sponsor with support from Ghana National Petroleum Company (GNPC), Ghana Commercial Bank (GCB Bank), Coral Paints and Rana Motors.
Papaye, MTN, Total Ghana, Goil Ghana, Gridco, BS5, Twillium Ghana, Tang Palace Hotel, DDP, IPMC, AMS, Wigal, Ghana Shippers Council and Millennium Insurance are also among the companies supporting the event.
This year’s event is not only a fitness exercise but promises to be exciting and entertaining as prominent personalities have taken the mayor’s challenge to prove their fitness prowess.
On the launch day, the Mayor threw a challenge to the Deputy Minister of Sport, Pius Enam Hadidze as well as other public figures to come out and promote fitness and health.
Rapper Okyeame Kwame has responded to the Mayor’s challenge boosting the excitement and anticipation for the event.
Chairman of Accra Marathon, Ashim Morton, who over the years has worked to ensure a successful marathon promised an exciting package this year. He entreats people to come out in their numbers and run their way to a better and healthier life.
Registration is already underway and interested persons can register www.accramarathon.com or the AMA Head Office and Frankies in Osu.
Have your say
More Sports Headlines
- Thomas Partey shortlisted for BBC African Footballer of the Year 2018
- 2018 AWCON: Ghana open campaign with win over Algeria
- Nigeria return to Africa Cup of Nations
- Uganda reach second straight Nations Cup
- AFCON 2019: Morocco and Mali qualify for Cameroon
- Photos: Prez Akufo-Addo surprises Black Stars in camp ahead of Ethiopia clash
- AWCON 2018: Four key players to watch
- U-17 WWC: Two straight wins for Ghana after hard-fought Finland victory
- Former 'Black Queens' players lead 2018 TOTAL AWCON Trophy tour in Accra
- Asante Kotoko policy analyst counts benefits of Soccerex exhibition
- Kenya loses CAS appeal over Women's Nations Cup exclusion
- Nigeria still AWCON favourites, but face tougher task than normal
- Black Queens begin quest for first AWCON title on Saturday
- VAR set to be used in Premier League next season
- Kwesi Appiah defends Ghana's big-name recalls