Black Stars captain Asamoah Gyan will be sidelined for at least three weeks with a muscle strain
The Kayserispor striker sustained the injury in Ghana’s 1-1 stalemate against Congo in Kumasi last Friday.
And he missed the 5-1 return leg victory in Brazzaville, with Boakye-Yiadom who played as the lone striker scoring a brace.
"After the first game we went for a scan and there was a bit stretch in the muscle, so it will take two to three weeks to heal because that's what the medical team said," Gyan told GFA communication team.
"So I have to go back to my club this week, start treatment, and make sure I come back strongly because I've started a challenge and I have to make sure I get back as soon as possible.’’He added
Gyan though injured traveled with the Black Stars and he has explained the rationale behind his decision.
"I thought the team needed my support and as the captain of the team, I had to show my solidarity behind the team,
''I have served this nation for quite a long time and the young boys needed my support,
''I spoke with my club and although they wanted me to come for treatment, they agreed I join my colleagues,
''I pleaded with the team and they gave me the opportunity to go support the team. Everything paid off. The boys were happy to see me and I'm happy we won."
Have your say
More Sports Headlines
- NC Special Cup: How Kotoko and Hearts served a superb tactical semi-final
- NC Special Cup: Kotoko beat Hearts on penalties to reach final
- Ghana 0-0 South Africa: Black Stars players rated
- Chelsea confirm departure of Maurizio Sarri to Juventus
- Pogba: I’m thinking of a new challenge
- Fury stops Schwarz in second round of heavyweight fight
- Hearts v Kotoko tactics: How Phobians can beat marginally superior Porcupines
- Colombia beat Messi's Argentina at Copa America
- Ukraine win Under-20 World Cup with final win over South Korea
- 2019 AFCON: Sadio Mane suspended for Senegal's opening match
- 'I wish team well in Egypt' – Majeed Waris backs Ghana despite omission
- 2019 AFCON: Ghana end pre-tourney prep with goalless South Africa draw
- Ghana set for World Minigolf Cup in Sweden
- Argentina impressed by Messi's desire to end trophy heartache
- Chelsea would have to pay Derby £4m to secure Lampard as boss