The president has suspended from office the Deputy Minister for Youth and Sports, Pius Enam Hadzide as well as the Acting Director General of the National Sports Authority Robert Sarfo Mensah.
The suspension which takes immediate effect is in reaction to the visa scandal which has rocked the country in the wake of the Commonwealth games currently underway in Australia.
A statement from the presidency Thursday, and signed by the Director of Communications at the presidency Eugene Arhin says the decision was taken after preliminary investigations into how some 60 persons were arrested for attempting to enter Australia under false pretences in the ongoing 21st Commonwealth games.
The statement further states that Board Chair of the NSA, Kwadwo Baah Agyemang and the Chef-de Maison for the Commonwealth, Mr Mohammed Sahnoon have also been recalled from the games village to assist in investigations.
At least 50 persons who claimed to be journalists and were in Australia to cover the Commonwealth games were arrested and repatriated for bearing false identities.
It is not yet clear how the suspects obtained visas to travel out of the country.
Reports suggest some officials from the National Sports Authority as well as the ministry facilitated the fraudulent visa acquisitions for the 60 persons.
The incident embarrassed the country with the Australian authorities said to be tightening travel arrangements for otherwise genuine Ghanaians who may be travelling to Australia for business and or pleasure.
Have your say
More Sports Headlines
- Didier Drogba: Chelsea and Ivory Coast legend retires from playing
- FIFA removes ethics judge from duty after arrest in Malaysia
- AWCON 2018: Holders Nigeria score four as South Africa net seven
- Unilever Minigolf schools competition tee off
- Kumasi catches Maltavator Challenge season 2 “fever”
- UEFA Nations League finals: All you need to know
- AWCON 2018: Ghana coach Hayford blames referee for shock defeat to Mali
- U-17 WWC: Ghana top group thanks to Abdulai brace
- AWCON 2018: Ghana suffers shock defeat to Mali in second group game
- AWCON 2018: Zambia dreaming big after Eq.Guinea thrashes star player Mwakapila
- AWCON 2018: Nigeria coach worried about 'snail-pace' build-up ahead of crucial Zambia test
- Development of football in Ghana – A general industrial development perspective
- AL-SMITH: Have Nigeria’s Super Falcons lost their fear factor? Looks like it.
- Yusif Abubakar: Former Aduana Stars coach dies
- 'Be more serious!' - Suarez urges team-mate Dembele to focus