Manchester United captain Paul Pogba scored the opening goal as the Red Devils beat Leicester in the first game of the Premier League season.
United had a frustrating summer, unable to sign any centre-backs and with Jose Mourinho looking increasingly irritated, but that did not hinder them too much at Old Trafford as they made a flying start on Friday night.
They won a penalty in the second minute when Daniel Amartey handled Alexis Sanchez's deflected shot.
France midfielder Pogba stepped up and after a slow run-up placed the ball in the top-right corner above Kasper Schmeichel. The World Cup winner had not even expected to start, having only returned to training on Monday.
Left-back Luke Shaw then scored the first senior goal of his career after controlling Juan Mata's aerial pass to seal the victory.
Substitute Jamie Vardy scored a late consolation after Ricardo Perreira's cross had hit a post, and Foxes goalkeeper Schmeichel came forward for an injury-time corner but his header went wide.
The Foxes had edged the first half following their early setback with debutants James Maddison and Ricardo both forcing saves from David de Gea.
The second period was a slightly tamer affair before the late goals, although substitute Romelu Lukaku was denied a goal by a good Schmeichel save.
It was the third season in a row Leicester have conceded the opening goal of the season - having lost to Hull and Arsenal in the first games of the previous two campaigns.
Have your say
More Sports Headlines
- After Champions League loss to Atletico Madrid, Juventus is on the brink
- Ronaldo: I've won five Champions Leagues, Atletico have zero
- 'Cojones' celebration came from the heart - Simeone
- Manchester City 'still not ready to fight for the latter stages' - Manager Guardiola
- Atletico overcome VAR setbacks to beat Juventus
- Late goals give Manchester City 3-2 win at Schalke
- Boateng off to China as Levante announce transfer to Dalian Yifang
- Joshua Clottey’s return after three years motivated by regaining title
- 2019 Standard Chartered Trophy launched
- Khedira out of Juve game with Atletico due to irregular heartbeat
- Mukarama receives U-17 World Cup Golden Boot and Bronze Ball
- Barcelona fail to take chances against battling Lyon
- Liverpool frustrated by Bayern in Anfield stalemate
- GFA Elections: NC denies Master Degree requirement reports
- Supercopa de Espana: New four-team tournament set to be played abroad