A lot of blame going on for the Isaac Dogboe loss to Emanuel Navarette this weekend.
That's normal. When you win, you get praised. You lose, the fault has to be found.
But let's keep it in mind that he is young and feels fit. This is the time of his life to do the heavy lifting.
That's why he has fought four times this year.
He was chasing a dream, he wanted to be a world champion.
Questions have been asked about whether he rushed into those three fights this year. The answer is a 'no'.
First, his fight history.
2015: Eight fights. Four of those were 6-round fights, two were 8-rounders, two were 12-rounders.
Here, you can clearly see the gradual progression as he was being groomed and built. He won all eight fights.
2016: Four fights, won all - two TKOs, two by unanimous decision.
2017: One fight. He copped a victory vs Javier Chacon. The Argentine retired after six rounds. That was in July. Dogboe next fought in January 2018, six months later.
That's more than enough time for him to have returned to shape.
Now, let's examine HOW his fights have ended in 2018.
January: Cesar Juarez. 5th round TKO.
April: Jessie Magdaleno. 11th round KO.
August: Hidenori Otake. 1st round TKO.
And then Emmanuel Navarette this weekend.
If I were his adviser, looking at how the lad feels will be paramount. Once his team felt it was physically fine to have these four fights, no problem.
After beating Magdaleno, Isaac became a world champion. That title comes with responsibility. You've got to defend the title in a certain period. And that's what he did.
We can talk about his lack of preparation for THIS particular fight - something his dad has confessed to. That's another issue.
But the analysis that four fights in a year were too many isn't always the case. Particularly for someone of this boxer's rigour and history.
Note also that in almost all the three previous 2018 bouts before this weekend, it was Dogboe who inflicted damage on his opponents, so recovery was not much of an issue.
If he had been battered and then rushed back, we would have a cause to rant.
Context is key.
Have your say
More Sports Headlines
- OFFICIAL: Barcelona announce loan signing of Kevin-Prince Boateng
- Boateng confirms surprise move to Barcelona
- Barcelona to sign Kevin-Prince Boateng from Sassuolo
- Serena Williams knocks out Simona Halep in epic Australian Open clash
- CAF CC: Kotoko draw Al Hilal, Zesco and Nkana in group stage
- CAF CL: Sundowns beat Wydad as Mazembe lose in Algeria
- Solomon Akumba wins Maltavator Challenge Season 2
- CAF CC: Kotoko players to receive $500 each qualification bonus
- Ashgold thrash Medeama to win Betway Cup
- CAF CC: Kotoko reach group stage for first time in 11 years
- Man City score their 100th goal of season to beat managerless Huddersfield
- Pacquiao beats Broner to retain WBA world title on points
- Federer beaten by Tsitsipas in Australian Open fourth round
- Impressive Arsenal beat Chelsea to stay in top four race
- Ligue 1: PSG put nine past Guingamp for record-breaking win