Ghana and Atletico Madrid midfielder Thomas Partey has been excluded from the Confederation of African Football's ten-man shortlist for 2018 African Player of the Year award.
The Black Stars ace was initially on a 34-man list but was evicted after a voting process from the members of the Caf Technical & Development Committee.
The final phase will involve votes from CAF Media Experts, Legends, Coaches of the quarter-finalists of the Caf Champions League and CAF Confederation Cup, and Coaches & Captains of the 54 Member Associations.
The Awards Gala will be held on Tuesday, 8 January 2019 in Dakar, Senegal.
Egypt and Liverpool icon Mohamed Salah, who won last year's edition, remains the frontrunner.
He faces competition from his teammates Sadio Sane (Senegal) and Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang (Gabon).
Uganda captain Denis Onyango who plays for Mamelodi Sundowns and Walid Soliman of Al Ahly and Egypt are on the list.
CAF Ten-man shortlist for 2018 African Player of the Year award
Alex Iwobi (Nigeria & Arsenal), Andre Onana (Cameroon & Ajax), Anis Badri (Tunisia & Esperance), Denis Onyango (Uganda & Mamelodi Sundowns), Mehdi Benatia (Morocco & Juventus)
Mohamed Salah (Egypt & Liverpool), Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang (Gabon & Arsenal), Riyad Mahrez (Algeria & Manchester City), Sadio Mane (Senegal & Liverpool), Walid Soliman (Egypt & Ahly)
Have your say
More Sports Headlines
- Manner of Gyan's retirement reveals true, fractured state of Black Stars
- Asamoah Gyan retires from Black Stars
- Ghana can end AFCON drought with TB Joshua's help - Richard Kingson
- Why African players are dominating European leagues
- Bolivian referee dies after collapsing during match
- Kofi Addo-Agyekum grateful to SWAG
- 'Quality not enough' to win Afcon - Thomas Partey
- Guardiola: 'Incredible' treble not enough for Man City without Champions League
- Real Madrid midfielder Kroos extends contract until 2023
- NC Special Cup: Yacouba returns to inspire Kotoko to victory, Hearts confirm top spot in Premier B
- Nadal defeats Djokovic in Italian Open final to win first title of year
- Barca held by Eibar despite Messi double
- Real Madrid end campaign with 12th league defeat
- Deontay Wilder knocks out Dominic Breazeale in first round to defend title
- Manchester City captain Vincent Kompany to leave after 11 years