Borussia Dortmund have agreed a deal to sign Chelsea forward Michy Batshuayi on loan for the rest of the season, subject to a medical.
The deal could hasten Arsenal's signing of striker Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang, who Dortmund have said they will only sell if a replacement is found.
Chelsea could sign Olivier Giroud from the Gunners as a replacement for Batshuayi to complete a three-way deal.
Belgium international Batshuayi has made 32 league appearances for Chelsea since joining the club from Marseille in July 2016, scoring seven goals.
Blues manager Antonio Conte said earlier in the week that the 23-year-old was in contention to play in their Premier League match against Bournemouth on Wednesday (19:45 GMT kick-off).
The Stamford Bridge club have also held talks with Tottenham over a possible swap deal involving Spurs' Spanish forward Fernando Llorente - but Batshuayi rejected the move as he wanted to be a first-choice striker.
Dortmund travel to Koln for their next Bundesliga match on 2 February.
Have your say
More Sports Headlines
- 2019 AFCON: Benin qualify as Adebayor's Togo go out
- Tanzania seal Afcon return after 39 years
- Appiah reveals reasons for Asamoah's no-show against Kenya
- First Ghana goal excites Caleb Ekuban
- Ghana 1-0 Kenya: Five things we learned
- Player Ratings: Ghana 1-0 Kenya
- 2019 Afcon qualifier: Ekuban debut goal saves Ghana's blushes
- U-23 Afcon qualifier: Ghana thrash Gabon 4-0 in first leg
- 2019 AFCON: Burundi seal historic qualification
- 2019 AFCON qualifier: Ghana vs Kenya preview
- Sterling bags hat-trick as England thrash Czech Republic
- Portugal draw blank against Ukraine on Ronaldo's return
- Messi returns but Argentina lose 3-1 to Venezuela
- Normalisation Committee to stay on another six months
- [Infographic + video]: Why Kwesi Appiah may have no choice than to select benchwarmers