Borussia Dortmund have agreed a deal to sign Chelsea forward Michy Batshuayi on loan for the rest of the season, subject to a medical.
The deal could hasten Arsenal's signing of striker Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang, who Dortmund have said they will only sell if a replacement is found.
Chelsea could sign Olivier Giroud from the Gunners as a replacement for Batshuayi to complete a three-way deal.
Belgium international Batshuayi has made 32 league appearances for Chelsea since joining the club from Marseille in July 2016, scoring seven goals.
Blues manager Antonio Conte said earlier in the week that the 23-year-old was in contention to play in their Premier League match against Bournemouth on Wednesday (19:45 GMT kick-off).
The Stamford Bridge club have also held talks with Tottenham over a possible swap deal involving Spurs' Spanish forward Fernando Llorente - but Batshuayi rejected the move as he wanted to be a first-choice striker.
Dortmund travel to Koln for their next Bundesliga match on 2 February.
Have your say
More Sports Headlines
- Impressive Arsenal beat Chelsea to stay in top four race
- Ligue 1: PSG put nine past Guingamp for record-breaking win
- SCOREBOARD: Results from top European leagues
- La Liga: Real Madrid climb to third with vital win over Sevilla
- Liverpool survive Palace scare to move seven points clear
- Pogba and Rashford give Solskjaer seventh straight Man Utd win
- FIFA condemns undercover investigator killing
- Callum Hudson-Odoi: Chelsea in talks with Bayern Munich target
- Kwesi Appiah will be sacked if Ghana fail to win 2019 AFCON
- Mybet.Africa offers bonus for Kotoko-Coton Sports match
- Chelsea striker Morata 'agrees to join Atletico Madrid'
- GOIL sends goodwill message to Kotoko ahead of Coton Sport clash
- Australian Open 2019: Sharapova beats defending champion Wozniacki
- Jose Mourinho: Ex-Man United manager 'too young to retire' and 'belongs at top level'
- I pick my team based on penis size - German coach's response to journalist