Borussia Dortmund have agreed a deal to sign Chelsea forward Michy Batshuayi on loan for the rest of the season, subject to a medical.
The deal could hasten Arsenal's signing of striker Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang, who Dortmund have said they will only sell if a replacement is found.
Chelsea could sign Olivier Giroud from the Gunners as a replacement for Batshuayi to complete a three-way deal.
Belgium international Batshuayi has made 32 league appearances for Chelsea since joining the club from Marseille in July 2016, scoring seven goals.
Blues manager Antonio Conte said earlier in the week that the 23-year-old was in contention to play in their Premier League match against Bournemouth on Wednesday (19:45 GMT kick-off).
The Stamford Bridge club have also held talks with Tottenham over a possible swap deal involving Spurs' Spanish forward Fernando Llorente - but Batshuayi rejected the move as he wanted to be a first-choice striker.
Dortmund travel to Koln for their next Bundesliga match on 2 February.
Have your say
More Sports Headlines
- Azumah pays tribute to former opponent Whitaker
- Pernell 'SweetPea' Whitaker, vanquisher of Azumah Nelson, dies in car accident
- Caf boss Ahmad paid expenses for same days but different countries
- Esperance and Wydad lodge Champions League appeals
- 'I am studying German' - Mourinho hints at Bundesliga interest
- AFCON 2019: Senegal to miss defender Kalidou Koulibaly in final
- AFCON 2019: Celebrations marred by violence after Algeria's semi-final win
- AFCON 2019: Mahrez scores late winner to put Algeria into final
- AFCON 2019: Senegal beat Tunisia after extra-time to reach final
- Novak Djokovic beats Roger Federer in Wimbledon final-set tie-break thriller
- 'Beating PSG 6-1 my best footballing memory' - Neymar fuels Barca comeback
- Senegal v Tunisia: kick-off time, team news, head to head, form and more
- AFCON 2019: Military planes to fly Algeria fans to Cairo for Nigeria clash
- Agyemang-Badu joins Hellas Verona on loan
- Simona Halep beats Serena Williams to win Wimbledon title