Liverpool have agreed a fee of about £66.8m for Roma goalkeeper Alisson.
The Premier League club are now expected to hold talks with the Brazil international.
The 25-year-old has been at Roma for two years, and played 37 Serie A games last season, after starting his career at Brazilian side Internacional.
Liverpool's bid, which is 70m euros, would overtake the current record for a keeper - 53m euros paid by Juventus to Parma for Gianluigi Buffon in 2001.
The Premier League record for a keeper is the 40m euros Manchester City paid Benfica for Ederson in June 2017.
Liverpool boss Jurgen Klopp was forced to defend goalkeeper Loris Karius last week after another mistake - this time in a pre-season friendly against Tranmere.
The 25-year-old German spilled a free-kick that allowed the hosts to score in Liverpool's 3-2 win at Prenton Park.
Karius was at fault for two goals in Liverpool's 3-1 defeat by Real Madrid in the Champions League final, but it was later found that he had concussion.
Alisson played all five games, keeping three clean sheets, as Brazil were knocked out at the quarter-final stage of the World Cup by Belgium
Have your say
More Sports Headlines
- NC Special Cup: How Kotoko and Hearts served a superb tactical semi-final
- NC Special Cup: Kotoko beat Hearts on penalties to reach final
- Ghana 0-0 South Africa: Black Stars players rated
- Chelsea confirm departure of Maurizio Sarri to Juventus
- Pogba: I’m thinking of a new challenge
- Fury stops Schwarz in second round of heavyweight fight
- Hearts v Kotoko tactics: How Phobians can beat marginally superior Porcupines
- Colombia beat Messi's Argentina at Copa America
- Ukraine win Under-20 World Cup with final win over South Korea
- 2019 AFCON: Sadio Mane suspended for Senegal's opening match
- 'I wish team well in Egypt' – Majeed Waris backs Ghana despite omission
- 2019 AFCON: Ghana end pre-tourney prep with goalless South Africa draw
- Ghana set for World Minigolf Cup in Sweden
- Argentina impressed by Messi's desire to end trophy heartache
- Chelsea would have to pay Derby £4m to secure Lampard as boss