The cameras rushed to capture the look on Salah's face as the Uruguayans rushed to the corner flag to celebrate their late goal.
His hanging head cut a look of disappointment as a man on whom rest the hope of Egypt was resting on the bench.
The goal came on the stroke of full time - 90mins. Their defensive cup was full.
This was a locally assembled African side with a few cherries of European-based players against an elite Uruguayan team that attacked and attacked and attacked.
Egypt could not score without Salah but showed they could defend without him as an organised defence became the backbone of the game that appeared set for a stalemate.
Uruguay's strongest link appeared to be their weakest as Luis Suarez got and lost the best chances.
Suarez sidenetted a great chance. Elsenawy's knee denied Suarez need for a goal in the 46minute and the Barcelona star's rare moment of indecision inside the edge of the goal line marked him out for backlash.
Cavani did better with a rocket from the edge of the 18-yard box which Elsenawy will file inside his cranium as a memorable World Cup save to be retold to his grandchildren.
The Russian goal post was Egyptian on the day as it denied Uruguay a goal celebration.
So in the end a goalkeeper's knee, indecision, a Russian post and a keeper's palm summed up Uruguay's best until a planted cross from a corner kick clicked the head of Jose Gimenez to end a South American siege at the Egyptian half of the pitch.
Not that the Egyptians did not get any chance. They did not know how to string an attack as effective as Salah's adventures with Liverpool.
Hesitation, inertia underlined their inexperience for the African powerhouse. North African teams appear the lose their football prowess once they jump into a plane and cross the Mediterranean sea for global competitions.
Big names in African competitions who play small games at the world stage and this is why this performance would lend credence to those who say African challenge could be simply down to a West African team.
Have your say
More Sports Headlines
- Development of football in Ghana – A general industrial development perspective
- AL-SMITH: Have Nigeria’s Super Falcons lost their fear factor? Looks like it.
- Yusif Abubakar: Former Aduana Stars coach dies
- 'Be more serious!' - Suarez urges team-mate Dembele to focus
- AWCON 2018: Ghana coach Bashir Hayford sure of victory over Mali
- 2018 Coca-Cola Clubs Minigolf League: Nutterz Putterz set the pace
- Altitude forced Ghana to slow down in second half - Kwesi Appiah
- Zverev stuns world number one Djokovic to win ATP Finals
- Switzerland come back to stun Belgium and reach Nations League semis
- Mauritania seal historic Afcon qualification
- AWCON 2018: Five-star Zambia trounce Equatorial Guinea
- AWCON 2018: South Africa stun Nigeria in Group B opener
- Kane inspires England comeback to seal UEFA Nations League finals place
- 2019 AFCON qualifier: Jordan double gives Ghana victory over Ethiopia
- Give us spectacular goals, impressive set pieces - First Lady to Black Queens