It’s confirmed ahead of his 60th birthday that Africa’s greatest boxer Azumah Nelson will have another honour added to his countless accolades by the world’s premier boxing sanctioning body - The World Boxing Council (WBC).
The big milestone which falls on July 19, will officially be celebrated with a special edition Azumah Nelson fight nigh at Ghana’s main boxing promotional address, the Bukom Arena on July 21. The WBC, who has already bestowed the Best Super Featherweight of All Time honour on Azumah and Nicaraguan, Alexis Arguello, is expected to send a team to Accra to present the accolade, a release from the legend’s promotional has revealed.
The three-time world boxing champion assumed legendary status in his homeland Ghana and globally when he dominated the super featherweight division as a champion for 10 years. He was subsequently inducted as the first African into the International Boxing Hall of Fame in the year 2004. Azumah Nelson, a respected statesman in his native Ghana, also established Azumah Nelson to help the young to realize their potential through education and sport.
The turning point in Azumah’s career occurred in June 1982, when he was handed an opportunity to fight Salvadore Sanchez for the WBC featherweight title. It was a tough bout and the young Ghanaian boxer at the time lost in the 15th round. But his spirited performance against the better established Mexican-born world champion impressed the decision makers of the sport great deal such that he was given other opportunities. Two years after the Sanchez episode Azumah Nelson rose to the occasion and defeated Wilfredo Gomez to win the WBC featherweight title.
Azumah Nelson sports complex renovation
At 59, the legendary Azumah Nelson has ventured into promotions in addition to social work in addition to his private business interests. Azumah, nicknamed the Professor, also received the WBC Champion Award at the sanctioning body’s 55th Convention in Baku, Azerbaijan.
The 60th milestone edition of the Azumah Nelson Fight Night code named ‘The Battle’ takes will be a five-fight bill. Hard-hitting WBA International Super featherweight Champion Wahab Oluwaseun, a.k.a Seunzy will take on Togolese Mouibi Sarouna (Togo Warrior) in a contest, while Abraham “No Shaking” I Bonsu will slug it out with Patrick Ayi, The Aligator for the Ghanaian Super Featherweight Championship. Benjamin Lamptey (Daddy Lumba) and Sherif Quaye (One Time) clash for Ghanaian Lightweight Championship with Michael ‘One Bullet’ Ansah will fighting Isaac Dowuana the Zongo Fire in the Final eliminator for the Ghanaian Super featherweight title. Emmanuel ‘Kwahu Tyson’ Danso will battle Stephen Abbey a.k.a Anero in the Super Middleweight contest. The Azumah Nelson Fight Night is supported by GeoDrill Ghana, Ashfoam and GOIL.
Have your say
More Sports Headlines
- Atletico overcome VAR setbacks to beat Juventus
- Late goals give Manchester City 3-2 win at Schalke
- Boateng off to China as Levante announce transfer to Dalian Yifang
- Joshua Clottey’s return after three years motivated by regaining title
- 2019 Standard Chartered Trophy launched
- Khedira out of Juve game with Atletico due to irregular heartbeat
- Mukarama receives U-17 World Cup Golden Boot and Bronze Ball
- Barcelona fail to take chances against battling Lyon
- Liverpool frustrated by Bayern in Anfield stalemate
- GFA Elections: NC denies Master Degree requirement reports
- Supercopa de Espana: New four-team tournament set to be played abroad
- Hearts boss Kim Grant unhappy with lack of competitive football
- Kotoko coach reiterates CAF Confed knockout stage target
- Solskjaer praises Pogba as one of 'best attacking midfielders in the world'
- Sarri feels the heat as Chelsea fans turn on Italian coach