The embattled president of the Ghana Football Association has resigned from office but not without apologizing to the president of Ghana.
Kwesi Nyantakyi’s apology and resignation come a day after the government announced a dissolution of the Ghana Football Association and hours after FIFA banned the embattled football president for 90 days.
Mr Nyantakyi resigned after a meeting with the Executive Committee of the Football Association Friday.
He had been captured in an undercover investigation conducted by the TigerEye PI in which he made damning commentaries about the president of the country and his vice as well as other ministers of state.
He also received an undeserved $65,000 from the supposed businessman who was, in reality, an undercover journalist.
A release signed by the embattled president said his comments in the conversation in the private discussion he had with "scammers" were acts of “indiscretion.”
“I wish to clarify that at no time prior to or subsequent to any deliberations on the video did I consult, contact or inform any Government official about discussions on the video. I take sole and personal responsibility for the proceedings on the video.”
“I wish to apologise to my family, work colleagues, friends, associates and the people of Ghana for the disappointment my indiscretion has caused them. This is by no means an admission of wrongdoing for issues on the video”, Mr. Nyantakyi said in a statement sent to the GFA General Secretary on Friday.
It is not clear yet if the resignation will change government’s position to overhaul football administration in Ghana.
On Wednesday, June 6, the Adjudicatory Chamber of the FIFA Ethics Committee received a complaint /request from Anas Aremeyaw Anas through Cromwell Gray LLP, to institute investigations into the conduct of Kwesi Nyantakyi based on the content of Number 12.
His temporary ban means there is a prima facie case for the Adjudicatory Chamber to look into its merit.
What is clear though, is that the FA president will be out of anything football in Ghana, Africa or across the globe for a period of 90 days a statement from the Ethics Committee of FIFA said.
He may be out for another 45 days if FIFA deems as even more grievous the findings contained in the “Number 12” documentary.
This means Mr. Nyantakyi will not be able to vote next week to determine whether Morocco will be able to host the next World Cup.
The embattled football president also apologised to his family for the embarrassment this exposé may have caused them.
Leave a comment