Nathaniel Asamoah scored a last-gasp goal as Aduana Stars thrice came from behind to snatch a 3-3 draw with his former club Raja Casablanca on Wednesday afternoon in Group A of the 2018 CAF Confederation Cup.
The Ghanaian champions were playing their first-ever CAF inter-clubs money zone match at the Nana Agyeman Badu II Park in Dormaa Ahenkro and ensured they earned a point.
Aduana made an early incursion on the right flank but Sam Adams' cross came off a Raja defender and took a direction at goal but it came off the upright and goalkeeper Anas Zniti was there to palm out.
Three minutes later, Aduana were shocked by the visitors who opened the scoring through Mahmoud Benhalib.
He controlled a pass from midfield after beating the offside trap to slot past goalkeeper Joseph Addo.
The equalizer nearly came in the 13th minute when Sam Adams was released by Oba Ikama but the winger shot against the stretched leg of Anas Zniti
In the 19th minute, Justice Anane slalomed and got a free kick close to the box but it was wasted by Ikama.
After 21 minutes Oba Ikama, the Congolese import, slammed home from inside the box after the Raja Casablanca failed to clear a low cross from overlapping right back Caleb Amankwah.
Ikama threatened once again when he curled one just outside the box but his effort was too feeble and weak to beat goalkeeper Anas
Against the run of play, Mabidi Lema-unmarked inside the area, headed in with a free header to double Raja's lead after a well-taken corner kick.
Two minutes from the half-time whistle, Adjei could not keep his shot down after a lovely layup from Sassraku inside the box.
Three minutes into the second half, Aduana earned a corner kick from the right and when it was whipped, it found the head of unmarked Caleb Amankwah and with a blistering effort, it was at the back of the twine for the leveller.
In the 54th minute, Adams went close but his shot at goal was smothered by the goalkeeper Anas Zniti.
Three minutes later Sassaraku wriggled past his marker before dragging a shot on his left foot, but it came off the upright and Sam Adams followed up with a shot which was parried away for a corner.
Just after the hour mark, Mahmoud Benhalib restored Raja's lead with a fine curler inside the box after perfectly controlling a threaded pass. The Aduana Stars defenders thought he was offside.
Noah Martey made a run and was released on the right flank, but instead of delivering a cross, he aimed at goal but missed the target widely.
Substitute Nathaniel Asamoah came close to snatching another equalizer, but his toe-poked ball was blocked by Anas and then came back to hit his leg which rolled out for a goal kick.
At the other end, danger man, Mahmoud Benhalib went close again, but this time goalkeeper Addo was quick off his line to grab the ball.
On the 90th minute mark, Benhalib went ahead again to score but a sliding tackle from Paul Aidoo cut out a through the pass.
In injury, there was a painful miss from Asamoah inside the box after caressing the ball and cutting onto his left foot. His shot was feeble and it rolled into the arms of goalkeeper Anas Zniti.
When all thought the match was heading for a home defeat, Asamoah atoned for his two earlier misses.
The experienced striker rifled in inside the box to give Aduana a share of the spoils.
The result leaves the Ghanaian champions without a win after two games and sees them occupy the last position in the group.
Their next game is at home against AS Vita Club in July
Have your say
More Sports Headlines
- Karela and Hearts of Oak complete NC Special Cup semifinal line-up
- Monaco GP: Lewis Hamilton beats Max Verstappen
- French Open: Roger Federer into second round with straight-set win
- French Open: Angelique Kerber suffers shock first-round defeat
- Kenpong Travels rolls out attractive AFCON Package
- Valencia win Copa del Rey to end Barcelona's double dream
- Full list of winners at 2019 Joy Sports Invitational
- Sapholda Ventures crowned champions of Joy Sports Invitational 2019
- Black Stars captaincy rift triggers 'bring back Stephen Appiah spirit'
- Gyan urged to decline Black Stars 'General Captain' post
- Live: Joy Sports Invitational 2019 updates
- Joy AFCON Podcast Ep 4: Gyan & Ayew + analysis of Appiah's 29-man squad
- Messi haunted by Liverpool defeat
- Kanoute's attempt to give Seville its first purpose-built mosque in 700 years
- Kwesi Appiah names Andre Ayew as new Black Stars captain