Senegal named its final 23-man squad for the World Cup on Thursday, with Liverpool forward Sadio Mane leading a group that includes key defender Kalidou Koulibaly of Napoli and midfielder Cheikhou Kouyate of West Ham.
Coach Aliou Cisse, captain of the 2002 team that reached the quarterfinals in the country’s only previous World Cup appearance, has gambled on the fitness of Monaco winger Keita Balde and Anderlecht defender Kara Mbodji.
Balde last played on April 7 while Mbodji missed most of this season with a knee problem but has recently returned to training.
The 20-year-old Rennes winger Ismaila Sarr also made the squad.
The midfield is likely to have an English league look with Kouyate, Idrissa Gueye of Everton, Cheikh Ndoye of Birmingham and Pape Alioune Ndiaye of Stoke selected.
Much of Senegal’s hopes rest with the 26-year-old Mane, who has been in sizzling form with 10 goals in 29 appearances in the Premier League.
Cisse’s men will have training sessions next week at a resort town outside Dakar before moving camp to Vittel, a city in northeast France.
Mane will join up late as Liverpool prepare for the Champions League final against Real Madrid on May 26.
Have your say
More Sports Headlines
- UCL: Real Madrid suffer record home loss to CSKA Moscow
- Man City forward Sterling named Premier League player of the month
- 2009 U-20 World Cup MVP Dominic Adiyiah joins Thai second-tier club
- Richard Commey 'feels like a complete fighter' ahead of world title fight
- CAF CC: StarTimes to broadcast Kotoko's first leg clash with Kariabangi
- Moura’s late goal in Barcelona takes Tottenham through to last 16
- Salah goal sends Liverpool into Champions League last 16
- StanChart launches “Stand Red Campaign”
- Yaya Toure leaves Olympiakos after three months
- Injured Man City midfielder Silva out for 'a few weeks'
- 'I've always liked Real Madrid!' - Hazard hints at Chelsea exit
- T.I AMASS win Ashanti Regional Inter-Schools Soccer championship
- Chelsea fans banned for alleged abuse of Man City forward Sterling
- Isaac Dogboe: Of poor preparation, a battering and lame excuses
- Evans Aryee 'dethrone' Dimpson Doodo of number one squash spot