Thrilling bouts and massive entertainment characterized the historic launch of the McDan Amateur Boxing Farmer's Day edition at the Jubilee Park in Tamale on Friday.
It was initiated by McDan Group CEO Dr Daniel McKorley, who is also the Gub Gbanaa of Tamale (one of the sub chiefs of the Overlord of Tamale).
He pointed out that plans were in place to make it a regular competitive platform to aid the discovery and further development of talents in northern Ghana.
Close to 3,500 people witnessed the successful launch sparking great excitement ahead of the main event on December 7 at the same venue in the Northern Regional capital.
Vice President of the Ghana Boxing Federation (GBF), Abdul Samad Mohammed, who launched the event, indicated that the programme was a much-needed one in northern Ghana saying, "The GBF is glad to facilitate the rollout of this great initiative by McDan. It will give us a realistic idea of the kinds of talents available so they can be further developed."
He added, "This is a great sign that boxing is reborn in northern Ghana and if we all support the nation will be the eventual winner.”
The McDan Foundation's lead Mr Gerald Owusu Duku said his outfit’s founder Dr Daniel McKorley who is also a sub chief in Tamale, wants to use his position as a traditional ruler to effect social change.
"We want to make this a regular feature on the sporting calendar so we can make some major discoveries," he added.
Five exhibition fights involving amateur boxers from Accra and the three northern regions entertained the fans a great deal.
Tamale-based rapper Double T also added to the entertainment package on the night.
The project has received backing from the Ghana Boxing Federation (GBF) as it aligns with efforts of promotion and development of the sport across the country.
The McDan Amateur Boxing Series is a social responsibility project organised by Nathaniel Attoh, Vice Chair of the Ghana Boxing Authority's (GBA) Sponsorship Committee, Hebert Allotei-Cofie (Promoter of Catch Them Young), Gerald Owusu-Duku, McDan Foundation's Lead and Dema Na Abdul Hafiz, the Tamale Overlord's sub chief in charge of entertainment.
The main event on Farmer's day is expected to attract a mammoth crowd.
Have your say
More Sports Headlines
- Senegal v Algeria: kick-off time, team news, head to head, form and more
- Ghana to face South Africa in AFCON 2021 qualifying
- Amaju Pinnick dismissed as Caf vice-president
- Mikel Obi retires from international football
- A fifth “All-African Coaches” AFCON final
- Juventus sign De Ligt on five-year deal
- AFCON 2019: Ighalo hands Nigeria bronze
- Atletico Madrid sign Tottenham defender Kieran Trippier
- Kotoko midfielder Kwame Bonsu completes move to Esperance
- CAF adopts one-leg finals for club competitions
- Real Zaragoza sign Raphael Dwamena from Levante
- Caf expands Women's AFCON to 12 teams
- Tunisia v Nigeria: kick-off time, team news, head to head, form and more
- Blatter labels Samoura's Caf move 'colonialist'
- Pernell Whitaker was unique - Eddie Pappoe