Over 40 sports associations under the National Sports Authority will be afforded the opportunity to learn new Psychological techniques when the Ghana Society of Sport and Exercise Psychology (GASSEP) launches a major project this month.
GHASSEP, through its local and international partners, intends to provide a variety of programmers that combines natural and social sciences and would deliver interdisciplinary skills and techniques to prepare the students, athletes, coaches and other analogous staff in the sports industry.
Members of the Society would be eligible for further training and development in both local and international institutions.
Members looking to pursue a career in the applied setting may consider a career as a sport psychological expert, providing performance and personal development support to professional and recreational athletes or clients in physical activity or exercise setting.
Besides self-employment, potential employers may include many associations, sports clubs and support centres for competitive sports and fitness centres, reflecting the growing demand for sport psychology consultants.
Furthermore, potential job market to specifically search for sport and exercise professionals with effective diagnostics and interventions (including quality management and evaluation) background as specialists.
With the growing popularity and relevance in health, leisure and elite sport in Ghana, it is surprising that this all-important field is at its nascent stage, development and recognition in the country.
An area that is not well understood and appreciated. Therefore, the launching of GHSSEP goes beyond the fundamentals of psychological science by focusing on significant areas in applied contexts of sport and exercise while providing a critical knowledge about the application of scientific and cognitive-behavioural principles in sport and exercise.
Have your say
More Sports Headlines
- Karela and Hearts of Oak complete NC Special Cup semifinal line-up
- Monaco GP: Lewis Hamilton beats Max Verstappen
- French Open: Roger Federer into second round with straight-set win
- French Open: Angelique Kerber suffers shock first-round defeat
- Kenpong Travels rolls out attractive AFCON Package
- Valencia win Copa del Rey to end Barcelona's double dream
- Full list of winners at 2019 Joy Sports Invitational
- Sapholda Ventures crowned champions of Joy Sports Invitational 2019
- Black Stars captaincy rift triggers 'bring back Stephen Appiah spirit'
- Gyan urged to decline Black Stars 'General Captain' post
- Live: Joy Sports Invitational 2019 updates
- Joy AFCON Podcast Ep 4: Gyan & Ayew + analysis of Appiah's 29-man squad
- Messi haunted by Liverpool defeat
- Kanoute's attempt to give Seville its first purpose-built mosque in 700 years
- Kwesi Appiah names Andre Ayew as new Black Stars captain