The head trainer of Attoh Quarshie Gym, Vincent Akai Nettey, a.k.a Washington and two of his cornermen have each been handed three-months suspensions by the Ghana Boxing Authority (GBA) for their involvement in violence during a WBO Africa bout at the Bukom Boxing Arena on October 13.
The licenses of Mr Nettey, Osman Nii Armah Brew and John Clottey have been suspended and as a result are barred from all professional boxing tournaments sanctioned by the GBA between December 1, 2018, and February 28, 2019.
Violence erupted in the 2000-seater hall during a WBO Africa super bantamweight title bout, after Coach Nettey’s boxer, Isaac Sackey, was unexpectedly knocked out by Wasiru Mohammed in the third round of their scheduled 12 round championship. Beninois Referee, Adon Bertin, without administering a count, stopped the bout to draw a spontaneous violent reaction from Sackey’s corner and his fans. In the frenzy, chairs and other objects were thrown about while others engaged in physical confrontations. Some patrons were injured in the process while some property at the Hall of the Bukom Arena was destroyed.
A statement released by the Ghana Boxing Authority (GBA) indicated that the decision was arrived at after the consideration of evidence from the event, as well as responses from the persons involved.
“At the hearing, each of the respondents pleaded liable to the charges preferred against them and pleaded for leniency.
Additionally, executives of the Coaches and Trainers Association added their voices and put in their respective pleas for leniency for the respondents,” the statement disclosed.
However, upon consideration of facts and circumstances in the case, the Disciplinary Committee of the GBA decided to sanction each of the respondents.
Wasiru Mohammed has since been duly declared winner of the bout and WBO Africa Super bantamweight champion, as the violence prevented the announcement of the verdict at the venue.
Below is the Full Statement
Have your say
More Sports Headlines
- Ghana's 2019 Afcon squad: Five players snubbed by Kwesi Appiah
- Four times Black Stars players retired, then came back
- AFCON 2019: Gyan named in Black Stars provisional squad
- VAR has been a success in La Liga, say Spanish referees
- CLUB 5 on 5 tournament: Eight teams set for final
- Gyan will not be captain despite President’s intervention- Head of Sports, Multimedia
- Three reasons why Kwesi Appiah cannot drop Asamoah Gyan
- StarTimes to broadcast live Kotoko vs Asec Mimosas friendly
- Asamoah Gyan's return will be negative but… Foh-Amoaning
- Gyan rescinds Black Stars retirement decision
- Gyan’s 'tirade', Akufo-Addo's intervention criticised
- Akufo-Addo backs Kwasi Appiah's new Black Stars captain decision
- StarTimes to broadcast 2019 Copa Del Rey final
- Ghana does not belong to Asamoah Gyan, he can go – Grunsah
- Arsenal's Mkhitaryan to miss Europa League final due to security concerns