The head trainer of Attoh Quarshie Gym, Vincent Akai Nettey, a.k.a Washington and two of his cornermen have each been handed three-months suspensions by the Ghana Boxing Authority (GBA) for their involvement in violence during a WBO Africa bout at the Bukom Boxing Arena on October 13.
The licenses of Mr Nettey, Osman Nii Armah Brew and John Clottey have been suspended and as a result are barred from all professional boxing tournaments sanctioned by the GBA between December 1, 2018, and February 28, 2019.
Violence erupted in the 2000-seater hall during a WBO Africa super bantamweight title bout, after Coach Nettey’s boxer, Isaac Sackey, was unexpectedly knocked out by Wasiru Mohammed in the third round of their scheduled 12 round championship. Beninois Referee, Adon Bertin, without administering a count, stopped the bout to draw a spontaneous violent reaction from Sackey’s corner and his fans. In the frenzy, chairs and other objects were thrown about while others engaged in physical confrontations. Some patrons were injured in the process while some property at the Hall of the Bukom Arena was destroyed.
A statement released by the Ghana Boxing Authority (GBA) indicated that the decision was arrived at after the consideration of evidence from the event, as well as responses from the persons involved.
“At the hearing, each of the respondents pleaded liable to the charges preferred against them and pleaded for leniency.
Additionally, executives of the Coaches and Trainers Association added their voices and put in their respective pleas for leniency for the respondents,” the statement disclosed.
However, upon consideration of facts and circumstances in the case, the Disciplinary Committee of the GBA decided to sanction each of the respondents.
Wasiru Mohammed has since been duly declared winner of the bout and WBO Africa Super bantamweight champion, as the violence prevented the announcement of the verdict at the venue.
Below is the Full Statement
Have your say
More Sports Headlines
- Mali secure first U-20 AFCON title on penalties
- Jeffrey Schlupp scores as Palace march on in FA Cup
- Basketball Africa League: Professional competition to launch in 2020
- Afriyie Acquah scores as Empoli beat Sassuolo in Serie A
- Mission International School, Happy Days Academy dominate Joy Kids Olympics second leg
- Kevin-Prince Boateng: Barca striker burgled during La Liga debut vs Valladolid
- Sergio Ramos and his 25 Real Madrid red cards: a retrospective
- Ramos sent off as Real Madrid suffer shock home loss to Girona
- I was destined to be world champion - Commey
- SCOREBOARD: Results from top European leagues
- Messi scores one penalty but misses another in Barca win
- Morocco to bring in VAR technology for all top-flight league games
- CAF CC: Ex-Kotoko star Yusif Chibsah thinks key to qualifying is winning away matches
- Tanko hints at call-ups for Kotoko players for Kenya Clash
- I’m not scared of Tagoe - Richard Commey