The much-anticipated McDan Amateur Boxing Farmer’s Day Edition has been called off following the sudden passing of Dema Na Hafiz Abdulai a key member of the organizing team, who is also a sub-chief of Tamale.
Dema Na Hafiz, passed on at the Tamale Teaching hospital on November 17 2018, after losing the battle with a sudden illness. This sad passing occurred only a week after the successful launch of the McDan Amateur Boxing Farmer’s Day edition at the Jubilee Park in Tamale.
The event will come off in the first quarter of next year. The decision according to the McDan Foundation is to pay respects to the memory of the departed Tamale sub-chief. Dema Na Hafiz has since been buried in accordance with Muslim tradition.
The first part of his funeral was held in Tamale last Sunday and drew a large list of prominent persons including, Saeed Salifu, the Northern Regional Minister, Dr Abdul Nashiru Issahaku, immediate past Governor of the Bank of Ghana and Alhaji Hudu Yahaya, a former Minister of State.
“Hafiz was very passionate about this because he believed in the vision of growing boxing in Northern Ghana, from scratch and sustaining it. He did a lot for this project and we are all gutted at this sudden news,” Mr Gerald Owusu Duku, the McDan Foundation’s Lead told Joy Sports. According to him, the main event will be dedicated to celebrating the work of Dema Na Hafiz when it comes off eventually next year.
The McDan Amateur Boxing is a social responsibility initiative by McDan Group CEO Dr Daniel McKorley, who is also the Gub Gbanaa of Tamale (one of the sub-chiefs of the Overlord of Tamale). He plans to make it a regular competitive platform to aid the discovery and further development of talents in northern Ghana. The launch drew attendance from at least 3,500 people to the Jubilee Park. The project is also approved and heavily supported by the Ghana Boxing Federation (GBF) as it aligns with efforts of promotion and development of the sport across the country.
The McDan Amateur Boxing Series is a social responsibility project under the McDan Foundation’s sports programme organized by Nathaniel Attoh, Vice Chair of the Ghana Boxing Authority's (GBA) Sponsorship Committee, Hebert Allotei-Cofie (Promoter of Catch Them Young) and Gerald Owusu-Duku, McDan Foundation's Lead and Kelbin Peter Atuguba.
Have your say
More Sports Headlines
- Atletico overcome VAR setbacks to beat Juventus
- Late goals give Manchester City 3-2 win at Schalke
- Boateng off to China as Levante announce transfer to Dalian Yifang
- Joshua Clottey’s return after three years motivated by regaining title
- 2019 Standard Chartered Trophy launched
- Khedira out of Juve game with Atletico due to irregular heartbeat
- Mukarama receives U-17 World Cup Golden Boot and Bronze Ball
- Barcelona fail to take chances against battling Lyon
- Liverpool frustrated by Bayern in Anfield stalemate
- GFA Elections: NC denies Master Degree requirement reports
- Supercopa de Espana: New four-team tournament set to be played abroad
- Hearts boss Kim Grant unhappy with lack of competitive football
- Kotoko coach reiterates CAF Confed knockout stage target
- Solskjaer praises Pogba as one of 'best attacking midfielders in the world'
- Sarri feels the heat as Chelsea fans turn on Italian coach