Buenos Aires, ARGENTINA – Ghana will have a busy schedule today at the Summer Youth Olympics as four athletes will be competing in three different events. The day begins with weightlifter Sandra Mensimah Owusu who will be competing in the women’s 58kg event 1730GMT.
The 18-year-old who is yet to win any medal at competitive level is looking forward to good showing later today. "I have trained and worked really hard to get here. I am going to give my best because this is a do or die affair. When I mount the stage, they will see the beast in me."
Next on the bill for Ghana will be beach volleyball pair of Eric Tsatsu and Kelvin Carboo who will be looking for a slot in the round of sixteen. They play Costa Rica at 1900GMT and must win that game to boost their qualification chances. Head coach of the Ghana side Mumuni Moro believes Costa Rica is a strong side but they are beatable. "I really studied them (Costa Rica) when they were playing against Monaco and saw their weak points. I have worked on my boys and we will capitalize on the weakness of the Costa Ricans to defeat them."
Wrapping up the day’s events for Ghana will be 400m runner Solomon Diafo who will take to the athletics track at 2020GMT. The 17-year old bronze medalist from the All Africa Games in Algiers knows what is at stake and is prepared for it. "When I get on to the tracks, I fear no-one except God. I know this is going to be tough looking at the people I will be competing with but I know I will make it. I am going to do my best to raise the flag of Ghana high."
Ghana is yet to win a medal at this year’s event. Swimming sensation Abeiku Jackson missed out on a medal yesterday after failing to qualify for the men’s 50m butterfly event.
Have your say
More Sports Headlines
- Chelsea fans banned for alleged abuse of Man City forward Sterling
- Isaac Dogboe: Of poor preparation, a battering and lame excuses
- Evans Aryee 'dethrone' Dimpson Doodo of number one squash spot
- Akufo-Addo commissions Lord’s Wembley Plus mini stadium
- Ronaldo challenges Messi to join him in Italy
- Sterling negative press coverage 'emboldens racist rhetoric' - PFA
- Wembley Sports to partner government to construct 100 parks
- Has Dogboe fought too many times in 2018? No, he hasn't
- River Plate fight back to win Copa Libertadores in Madrid
- Raheem Sterling: Man City forward says newspapers 'fuel racism' in football
- SCOREBOARD: Results from top European leagues
- Isaac Dogboe loses WBO world super bantamweight title to Emanuel Navarrete
- Chelsea inflict first defeat of season on Man City
- Arsenal need Torreira stunner to overcome Huddersfield
- Man Utd end winless run by sweeping aside Fulham