Emmanuel “Game Boy” Tagoe won the vacant WBO Africa lightweight title on Sunday, October 21, 2018, following a unanimous decision victory over Paulus Moses at the Bukom Boxing Arena in Accra, Ghana.
Tagoe, 29, who lost his IBO lightweight world title after refusing to take on mandatory challenger Fedor Papazov [in June 2018] had one last retort to his fans as he dominated and outpoint the 40-year-old boxer over 12 rounds.
Paulus ‘ The Hitman’ Moses, who lost to Ray Beltran in February at the Grand Sierra Resort in Nevada [USA] used his long reach and experience to prevent Emmanuel Tagoe from recording a knockout victory.
Paulus Moses, the Namibian threw fewer punches, allowing Emmanuel Tagoe the freedom to thwack and cuffs more through the rounds as the ‘Game Boy’ chants echoed through the arena.
In the end, the three judges scored the fight – [120-110], [120-109], [120-109] in favour of Emmanuel Tagoe.
Emmanuel Tagoe [29-1, 14 KO’s] will be aiming to get a shot at a world title in the near future, but he still needs to work on his punching power if he indeed wants to become a world champion looking at the kind of cracked boxers in the lightweight division.
In the undercards of the well-attended bill, Sherif Quaye retained his national lightweight title by beating Michael Ansah aka Bullet on points.
John Laryea, the newly signed on 18year old from Bronx Gym also won against David Laryea aka Chorkor Horror.
Raphael King also won his fight against his opponent, Aziz Quartey, while Kpakpo Allotey lost against Robert Quaye.
Malik Jabir fought a good fight but lost to Michael Pappoe in another exciting thriller.
The event dubbed Asamoah Gyan Fight Night 1 was attended by old Black Stars players like Stephen Appiah, Godwin Attram and Laryea Kingson. Also gracing the show were former world champions, Azumah Nelson, Ike Quartey and Joshua Clottey.
Many celebrities and stars stormed the arena to see the fight between Ayitey Powers and Baba Spirit in which Baba Spirit was disqualified by referee Roger Barnor for throwing his leg.
Have your say
More Sports Headlines
- EPL Wrap: Man City return to top, Spurs grab late winner
- Defender Smalling signs new Man Utd contract
- 2019 Africa Cup of Nations: Caf confirms bids from SA and Egypt
- CAF CC: Kotoko hold Kariobangi to goalless draw in first leg
- Mohamed Salah named BBC African Footballer of the Year 2018
- Jose Mourinho: Man Utd 'far' from being built in my image
- Active football in Ghana to resume next month
- Coca-Cola Minigolf League: Six clubs set for finals
- Eunice Beckmann to hold charity event for street kids in Accra
- Full list of revised shortlists for 2018 CAF Awards
- Partey fails to make Caf 10-man shortlist for Footballer of the Year award
- Egypt FA in U-turn over 2019 Africa Cup of Nations bid
- WTA gives increased protection for returning mothers on tour for 2019
- Morocco decide against 2019 Africa Cup of Nations bid
- UCL: Real Madrid suffer record home loss to CSKA Moscow