Registration for the 2019 edition of Greenway National Cycling Competition has been launched in Accra.
The competition, which is being organised by Greenway International Foundation, an environmental protection organisation working for a carbon-free environment and oceans free of single-use plastics.
This historic event which will take place on January 15 through to July 21, 2019, is open to the public from who are between 19 - 45 years.
About 5,000 participants are expected to take part in the five-laps competition in the various regions and cover a distance of about 300 kilometres.
Executive Director of the Foundation, Michael Olusegun Olusanya who performed the official launch on Monday, said the Greenway National Cycling Competition is in active partnership with the Greater Accra Cycling Association chaired Kofi Boakye-Yiadom.
Mr. Olusanya said the ultimate aim is to create awareness among people to mitigate the effect of climate change and progressively, to reduce greenhouse gases in all 10 regions of Ghana.
He urged those who wish to participate in the event to log on their website to register. Winners in the race stand to take exciting prizes worth over ¢100,000 to the potential winners and other amazing prizes.
He said the registration continues till December 31, 2018.
The overall winner will take home a cash prize of ¢15,000, two pure gold medals, a brand new bicycle, National Cycling for Climate Honor and extras.
The runner-up will receive ¢10,000, one pure gold medal, a brand new bicycle, National Cycling for Climate Honor and extras.
Third Prize winner will get ¢7,000, one pure gold medal, a brand new bicycle, National Cycling for Climate Honor and extras.
Fourth to 10th winners will take home silver medals, trophies, a brand new bicycle, National Cycling for Climate Honor and extras.
Have your say
More Sports Headlines
- Ukraine win Under-20 World Cup with final win over South Korea
- 2019 AFCON: Sadio Mane suspended for Senegal's opening match
- 'I wish team well in Egypt' – Majeed Waris backs Ghana despite omission
- 2019 AFCON: Ghana end pre-tourney prep with goalless South Africa draw
- Ghana set for World Minigolf Cup in Sweden
- Argentina impressed by Messi's desire to end trophy heartache
- Chelsea would have to pay Derby £4m to secure Lampard as boss
- Multimedia secures radio rights for TOTAL AFCON2019 coverage
- NBA Finals: Toronto Raptors beat Golden State Warriors to win first title
- Chelsea agree deal for Maurizio Sarri to join Juventus
- Women's World Cup: Marta has record to rival Brazil legends Ronaldo and Pele
- Hazard unveiled to Real Madrid fans – ‘I’m here to win titles’
- 2019 AFCON: Algeria drops player for exposing 'buttocks' in video
- Women's WC: Australia fight back as Brazil suffer first group-stage defeat in 24 years
- Premier League fixtures 2019-20: Man United face Chelsea on opening day