Novak Djokovic produced an impeccable performance to beat Juan Martin del Potro in the US Open final and win his 14th Grand Slam title.
The 31-year-old Serb won 6-3 7-6 (7-4) 6-3 to earn his third triumph in New York and equal American great Pete Sampras' haul of major trophies.
Djokovic, who won Wimbledon in July, will climb to third in the world after back-to-back Grand Slam victories.
Only great rivals Roger Federer (20) and Rafael Nadal (17) have won more.
Argentine third seed Del Potro, 29, was playing his first Grand Slam final since winning the 2009 US Open, having almost quit the game in 2015 because of multiple wrist injures.
A fairytale finish at Flushing Meadows was not to be, however, as former world number one Djokovic's quality shone through.
Djokovic, who was seeded sixth, is one of only eight men to win the Wimbledon-US Open double and has now accomplished that feat for a third time.
The Serb walloped a forehand volley to safety on his first match point, dropping to the floor and spreading out on his back with his arms and legs outstretched in celebration.
After hugging his great friend at the net, Djokovic jumped into his box to celebrate with his wife Jelena and team. Del Potro broke down in uncontrollable tears on his chair.
"It is not easy to speak right now," Del Potro said on court. "I'm sad because I lose but I'm happy for Novak."
After the controversy surrounding Serena Williams' defeat by Naomi Osaka in Saturday's women's final, a high-quality match between two of the top male players ensured tennis was once again the talking point.
|Most Grand Slam titles - men's singles|
|20||Roger Federer (Swi)|
|17||Rafael Nadal (Spa)|
|14||Novak Djokovic (Ser), Pete Sampras (US)|
|12||Roy Emerson (Aus)|
Have your say
More Sports Headlines
- Karela and Hearts of Oak complete NC Special Cup semifinal line-up
- Monaco GP: Lewis Hamilton beats Max Verstappen
- French Open: Roger Federer into second round with straight-set win
- French Open: Angelique Kerber suffers shock first-round defeat
- Kenpong Travels rolls out attractive AFCON Package
- Valencia win Copa del Rey to end Barcelona's double dream
- Full list of winners at 2019 Joy Sports Invitational
- Sapholda Ventures crowned champions of Joy Sports Invitational 2019
- Black Stars captaincy rift triggers 'bring back Stephen Appiah spirit'
- Gyan urged to decline Black Stars 'General Captain' post
- Live: Joy Sports Invitational 2019 updates
- Joy AFCON Podcast Ep 4: Gyan & Ayew + analysis of Appiah's 29-man squad
- Messi haunted by Liverpool defeat
- Kanoute's attempt to give Seville its first purpose-built mosque in 700 years
- Kwesi Appiah names Andre Ayew as new Black Stars captain