MultiChoice Ghana, operators of DStv, GOtv and agents of SuperSport International, has secured an injunction barring Nour Vision, operators of Fly TV from airing the FIFA World Cup in Ghana.
According to the pay tv company, Fly TV have not acquired the broadcast rights to the global soccer fiesta in Ghana neither on Pay-Tv nor Free to Air.
'Supersport International through its appointed agent MultiChoice Ghana has instructed its lawyers to commence legal proceedings to stop Fly TV from airing the FIFA World Cup live from Russia,' the company said.
Checks from the official list of authorized broadcasters for Ghana for the World Cup and some other properties do not list FLY TV or Nour Vision as rights holders not just in Ghana but across Sub-Saharan Africa.
The broadcast industry in Ghana continues to battle with the issue of illegal broadcast of unauthorized content by many TV and Radio stations.
One sector greatly hit by this menace is the sports industry where some local TV stations have been airing international sporting events without going through the process required to acquire the necessary rights for the territories they operate in.
According to Tony Forson Esq. legal counsel for MultiChoice Ghana, after studying the necessary documentation 'we carried out the instructions of our client and successfully secured an injunction on Wednesday, June 20, barring Fly TV from any further broadcast of the FIFA World Cup until the final determination of the case.'
SuperSport Africa holds rights to major sports events including FIFA World Cup, Premier League, La Liga, Europa League, Champions League and La Liga) which are distributed by Multichoice Ghana through the DStv and GOtv platforms across Sub Sahara Africa.
According to Cecil Sunkwa Mills, General Manager, MultiChoice Ghana, 'will continue to collaborate with the necessary authorities to initiate civil suits to protect its content from illegal broadcasting/re-broadcasting and support the growth of both the local and international creative industry and talent'.
Have your say
More Sports Headlines
- NC Special Cup: How Kotoko and Hearts served a superb tactical semi-final
- NC Special Cup: Kotoko beat Hearts on penalties to reach final
- Ghana 0-0 South Africa: Black Stars players rated
- Chelsea confirm departure of Maurizio Sarri to Juventus
- Pogba: I’m thinking of a new challenge
- Fury stops Schwarz in second round of heavyweight fight
- Hearts v Kotoko tactics: How Phobians can beat marginally superior Porcupines
- Colombia beat Messi's Argentina at Copa America
- Ukraine win Under-20 World Cup with final win over South Korea
- 2019 AFCON: Sadio Mane suspended for Senegal's opening match
- 'I wish team well in Egypt' – Majeed Waris backs Ghana despite omission
- 2019 AFCON: Ghana end pre-tourney prep with goalless South Africa draw
- Ghana set for World Minigolf Cup in Sweden
- Argentina impressed by Messi's desire to end trophy heartache
- Chelsea would have to pay Derby £4m to secure Lampard as boss